We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA visor waiver

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
ESTA visor waiver

Hi, can anyone help me...I'm going to Orlando at Easter (which is 10 weeks time)and I've just found out that one of our friends who's travelling with us obtained a criminal record last year... We've spoken to the travel agents who said it's too late to apply for a visor, we've already paid the money in full...Now that the new ESTA has taken place can anyone offer any advise on what to do...?

Lilyland

belfast
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA visor waiver

fill in the esta and see what happens ,was it for something serious, i've heard of people with minor offences being allowed through but personally i wouldnt risk ,even if the online esta is ok thats no guarantee of entry, ring and enquire about visa

josie

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA visor waiver

Fill out the ESTA ASAP and see what result you get. Depending on what the record is for depends whether you need a visa. If in doubt phone the US embasst NOW and explain the problem and see if A; you need a visa and B; ask for an appointment. Don`t delay!!!!

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA visor waiver

Just to be clear about this - the coming of ESTA makes **no difference at all** to your eligibility under the Visa Waiver Program - only the method of applying is changing.

As above - speak to the USA embassy. Strictly, a VISA will be required.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA visor waiver

ESTA doesn't replace the Visa and it's only for people who are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program. So your friend will still need to get a VIsa. But 10 weeks should be ample time. Look at the US EMbassy in London's web site and they say typical wait times for an appointment are 19 days and then Visa processing is typically 3 days.

But your friend does need to get moving on this in case his circumstance mean it takes longer.

usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/index.html

Good luck.

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ESTA visor waiver

Thanks everyone for your help...The conviction was because my friend did a job for someone last year and because they wouldn't pay up, he hit him...!!!

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ESTA visor waiver

Hi there hitting someone will not be classed a moral turpitude its more serious crimes.

I have travelled withsomeone in a very similar situation to yours.

Feel free to pm me if you want.

Lauren

Lowestoft, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ESTA visor waiver

Hi Lauren,

my friend has a conviction for ABH because of the incident...Do you think he will be refused entry...???

His passport is at a family members house because he moved house a few weeks ago but he should get that back tomorrow, then he can enter in the details on the computer for the ESTA thing.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ESTA visor waiver

Lilyland have sent you a message.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ESTA visor waiver

Lily, hope everything works out,

but if not- the rest of you can go without them as scheduled. Good luck.

10. Re: ESTA visor waiver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 12:19