We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the airlines being greedy?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london area
Level Contributor
202 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Are the airlines being greedy?

I was reading all the posts re the credit crunch topic and the subject of the air fares came up.

Airline fares did come down in the January sale and should have stayed down. There is no justifiable reason why both the UK & US airlines are still charging such exorbitant fares - other than greed.

Luckily I purchased 6 airline tickets with American Airlines on January 3rd. I had watched the prices carefully and hit the 'book' when they got down to £1872 for all of us. The fare on the same airline is now £3684 - it doesn't make sense to me. Yes one of the internal flights is nearly full but the transatlantic bit is open wide still. Virgin & BA were well out of my budget for this trip and I've been travelling with either one of them every year for the past 17years.

I believe that once this coming Easter period is over, the hotel/property owners and airline bosses are going to regret putting their accustomed temporary increase on prices just because its the 'holiday period'. I feel the average holidaymaker is now being more selective how they spend their hard earned cash because we are all sick and tired of being ripped off.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

There is now less airline seats to sell XL who were transporting more than a thousand passengers a a day through the summer have gone . But a lot of their customers will still want to fly . Lots of them could have paid for more expensive tickets but chose not to. Now the other airlines will feast on the carcass.

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

I have worked for an airline consolidator selling us & uk scheduled airlines for 8 years and every year it is the same...people leave it until now to try and book Easter dates, why? because people still choose to beleive the media hype that less people are travelling in these tough times but it just isn't true people are still travelling as much as they did last year but because of the media people are thinking if they leave it till the last minute they will bag a bargain which will never be the case for school holidays....the best time to get the cheapest price on flights is to book 10-11 months in advance when the airlines release their flight schedules as the airlines have at least 10 fare levels with only so many seats in each fare level so hence why the price will go up the more seats that get booked on a particular flight and the closer you get to a departure date!

Airlines release their best specials in january however they NEVER release specials for peak dates and as for this year the airlines fares dropped quite significantly at the beginning of January as they reduced their fuel surcharges!

Airlines are not greedy its ill informed people who think the airlines should drop their prices because we are in a recession...how can airlines drop prices when they hardly have any seats left now for the major routes at Easter?!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,803 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

My opinion: if people are buying the tickets, they'll sell them at whatever price people will pay. If people aren't buying them at the higher price, they'll drop it.

hollywood birmingham
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

I recently got a bargain for flights in August with

Virgin £316 (25th Aug)and of that £202.50 was tax.

I booked these seats and ended up saving £1700 by changing my package that i had with virgin holidays -

(just kept park tickets so we did not lose any money).

My daughter had split up with her boyfriend, and to remove him from the package which originally was £2200 they still wanted £2000 for her and the baby, she could not afford this, my package inc park tickets for the 3 of us for 24 nights was £3100

I changed the mine and the total for the 5 of us inc

3 bed condo and disney and universal tickets came to £3400, so i am only paying an extra £300 for my daughter and grandson for 3 weeks.

I had booked my holiday last july and thought i had a good price (did price it separately but virgin package still worked out cheaper), but now i have got an even better bargain.

I have worked in travel industry for several years and have never seen price in Aug as low as £316 with Virgin - they still have some for just under £400 now but they wont be there long.

Chris

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

Given the number of ailrines that have failed recently, and the difficulties of others, I disagree.

In fact, taking into acct inflation, flying has never ever been cheaper.

Airlines these days work on Fluid Pricing, a system in which there are seats set aside at a number of different prices, as the lower ones sell out, the higher ones are what is left.

So, in the case givien above where flights for six doubled, that was the cause. The flight is obviously filling up. All the majors have reduced capacity to cut costs, and there is less slack in the system with the failures of airlines like Zoom and XL.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

The cost of 2 adult flights with Virgin in September has cost me approx £1000. However, this includes a Premium Economy return leg, and return flights from Aberdeen to Manchester.

These prices are unbelievably good value.

I really think you need to grab tickets when they are cheap, in the sales - waiting until later rarely bags a better bargain.

Co Down, N. Ireland
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

Chinners, agreed on the good deals at the moment, which may not re-appear. Travelling from Northern Ireland is notoriously expensive, but I just booked for Xmas, 12th Dec to 28th for £1089 for 2 adults & 1 10 y.o. child with Continental BFS-EWR-MCO. Cracking deal, should be able to slip in a decent hotel and all the park tickets for £2500 all in.

UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

Hi

We booked with Virgin last week flying on the 01/06/09 3 adults and a child came to £1,206 we thought this was a great deal!

Just had a look on they are still at that price!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

I just booked BA for 2 A at 687 Out June, back July. Was 621 yesterday, but had to wait for friend to say yes or no. Some expensive friend lol.

Good deals out there for those with the time to look.

hollywood birmingham
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the airlines being greedy?

Amanx - if that situation arises again use an agent to hold the seats for you, sometimes slightly more or slightly less in cost, then you dont have to rush and still get your seats at a good price - i held my seats for 3 days whilst i sorted out changing my package with virgin hols, the day i came to book the seats had risen an extra £70 per peson, as my option was held still paid the lower price.

Chris