We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

Hi, we need some advice. We did the 'once in a lifetime' Disney experience last year staying at the Grand Floridian doing all the Character dining and generally living it up! We loved everything about Florida and so are going back again this year but just because it's a nice place for a holiday and don't need to be doing the 'blowing the budget' thing again.So, I am trying to decide where to stay for a few days at Disney. The kids love the look of Pop Century but I am afraid that we'll be disappointed after being so spoilt before, it does look a cool place, has anyone had both experiences? Or any suggestions for something mid-way. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

It depends how you look at things really. If you stay at the Grand Floridan you will get nicer accomodations and be closer to Disney but you will have a tighter budget and watch what you spend more on holiday.

If you stay at the Pop you still get all the benefits of staying on site and you will have more money to spend so you can really splash out.

Not to mention that you won;t get so many $$ for your ££ now aswell.

I got speaking to a lady last time I was there and she normally stayed in the top resorts but this time went for budget, she said it was great!!

HTH

pa
Level Contributor
54,010 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

It might be hard to stay at a Value Resort once you've been to the GF

Maybe something in the Moderate Resorts. Pool with Slide, Hot Tub, Table Sevice Restaurant, bigger rooms, better transportaion. Or maybe the Wilderness Lodge, it's less $ then the GF. Just my thought

There is nothing wrong with the Value Resorts, they are all clean and comfy but you will see and feel the difference from the GF, IMO

POP 'looks' cool to all the kids but you need to decide if looking like a cool Resort is enough for all of you

If you can go between now and June, have a look at the Buy 4 Get 3 Free Offer, it can make it a bit more affordable and then you can kick it up a notch with your Resort www.wdwinfo.com/disneypackages.htm

We have stayed at all but 1 Disney Resort and after staying at the Deluxe we know we prefer at least a Moderate now :)

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

i'd go for pop - save the money and live it up/spoil yourselves elsewhere... how long was you actually in your hotel room when you stayed at the GF? Aslong as its clean and tidy what more do you need?

Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

I'd say split the diff and go with a moderate. Or, consider a different deluxe resort. I think, but I'm not sure, that the Contemporary is a little less expensive than GF.

Partypa,

What's your favorite value, moderate and deluxe resorts and why? Just curious. Where haven't you stayed?

uk
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

Hi what we like and what the kids like are different. We have stayed at various disney hotels/ bugets. My girls liked the all stars movies the best so far and if we were to go back I would stay at POP as I think thats what they would like best out of the ones we have not been at. I would however, choose to eat in the nicer resorts/ resturants

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

Thank you very very much for all your replies. They have really helped me sort out what we will want. I think you're right, the moderate resorts will best suit our needs. Cool enough for the kids but with the little extra comforts we need!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

Never2many: A moderate, is a good compromise. Just a reminder that the moderate resorts have double beds and the deluxe have queen size. The Grand Floridian rooms are 400 square feet. The moderate rooms are 315 square feet. Wouldn't want you to be caught off guard.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

Thanks. My DH is very tall so size of beds matters. anyone stayed at the animal kingdom?

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

Of course the Value Resort will disappoint when compared to the GF-but if you want to budget and say,spend your money on nice dinners and so on,remember that you don't spend all that much time in the room anyway. We don't care for the Value Resorts-260 square feet is just too tiny-but we like the POFQ and the AKL which are both less than the GF. and check out the cabins at Fort Wilderness,it's a wonderful place to stay with children with lots to do.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garnd Floridian or Pop Century.....?!!

Found Fort Wilderness to be too expensive. What didi you like about the AKL? and did you find the rooms very dark?