We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why cant I reserve seats??

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why cant I reserve seats??

I wanted to reserve our virgin atlantic seats and found that I could not reserve our 5 seats (2 adults,3 children)for the return journey together.

No problem my husband can sit with DS13,I'll sit with DS11 and DD2 as there are 3's and 2's available,just not right next to each other.

NO!CAN'T!site won't let me.I called up Virgin,they said we can't reserve unless the whole party is exactly together.So I asked them would the children have to sit alone? They said they try to sit families together but they can't guarantee it and we should check in as early as possible for our return.

Our return flight is not until the evening and we want to make the most of our last day,so why won't they let us reserve a 3 and a 2 seperately?

I don't want to risk any of my children having to sit alone particularly DD as she is only 2 and DS11 who is autistic!

Any advice?

belfast
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

bump

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,300 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

Hello,

I don't think you have to worry. Even if you are assigned seats apart, no one is going to make a 2 year old sit next to strangers. Someone will change seats with you so you can sit next to your children. You might want to call them again and speak to a supervisor and tell them the problem, though.

Donna

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

I agree. Call and ask for a supervisor! These are soecial conditions, and someone needs to take care of you. You should not have to spend your holiday, worrying about your return!

Good Luck!

England
Level Contributor
318 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

Why don't you phone Virgin back and explain the situation re your kids and ask how they can help.

I believe some airlines offer special help with autistic kids (eg early boarding) which can help to make the flight calmer for everyone. A 2 year old would have to sit with a parent, in case oxygen masks were needed.

Hope you can sort this out with Virgin and relax.

hollywood birmingham
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

Call virgin and go through to special needs/ medical they will sort it out for you.

The other option is to use the Downtown Disney check in and be there for 8 am.

Chris

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
406 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

We flew with VA last year, during the summer school holidays.

I booked online and found the website very difficult to get around and missed booking my seats completely until someone on here mentioned that you could! So I'd missed the boat by the time I found this out, but when I rang VA they said as we all had the same surname we should all be seated together and we were!

So don't panic! I'd say definitely follow the advice to call up for special assistance as you've got one child with autism they should be very helpful - fingers crossed!

Have a lovely holiday and I do hope everything goes really smoothly.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

They have always sat us together (family of 5: 2, 7 and 10; the eldest autistic) and gave the same seats on the return leg. We never reserved either way. One of the beauties of going with a scheduled airline - they try to do the right thing when it comes to seating for everyone.

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

Hi I have just phoned Virgin a few days ago about a similar thing my daughter is diabetc and will be 16 when we go at Xmas so I was worried that as she is old enough they would allow her to be sat on her own, I cannot get in to book seats as our retur is not up yet but the flight out is now full and I know that by the time our return comes up to allow us into the my booking part othe outward seat may have all gone. On the phone to virgin they have told me to phone back on the day the seats become available to reserve and they will get us all seated together, (through the special needs number). as they completely agreed that a 16 diabetic should still be next to a parent for help if needed. I am sure that your needs as greater in mine as my other child will be 12 and more able to cope than a young child. Phone the special needs number and I am sure they will sort it for you

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

I spoke to someone from virgin today using the special needs number as suggested and it's all sorted,we will be in a 3 and a 2 directly behind.I feel so much better,thanks very much everyone for all the fantastic advice,I LOVE this forum!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Why cant I reserve seats??

Cheerears: I'm thrilled for you! Have a magical trip!