We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Add DDP after hotel reservations?

I'm holding out for free ddp in late aug. but I've seen great deals on flights now! We will do ddp regardless of whether it is free or not...so my question is whether I can add the ddp after I book flights and hotel? I'm sure they don't mind if you're paying for it, but will they let me add it if it does become a freebie?

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Kagn: Yes, you can add the dining plan, after you have made a reservation. You need to be staying on-site, at Disney, with a package, that includes at least one day of park tickets. The dining plan has to be added, at least 5 days before your arrival.

If free dining becomes available, book your dining ASAP, as these packages are limited, and sell-out quickly.

Buy the air tickets, now!

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,074 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

In our experience,you cannot add the DDP after you make a reservation at a Disney hotel-the room has to be cancelled and rebooked. They may have changed this recently but this was the policy in the past-the DDP is part of a package and you were required to book the room,the DDP and at least one day of MYW tickets together.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Generally speaking, they will be more than happy to add the paid dining plan. The free dining plan, I have heard of issues with because the package is booked under a specific promo code.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Disfan is correct. You have to cancel your original reservation and re-book, but you will be doing this more than 45 days out, so there is no penalty. They will credit your original deposit and charge you a new deposit. A minor inconvenience, for free dining!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Thanks for the info, my next question is....if I cancel, to rebook (in order to add the dining)... is there a chance I could loose my room?

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Book directly through Disney. They will hold the room, while they transfer your reservation. Any other agent, and you could lose the room.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Kagn: Just want to make sure you understand, this is ONLY for free dining. If you are paying for dining, you can just add it to your reservation. No need to cancel and re-book.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Well, just to clarify, if the original reservation is a room-only reservation, then YES, the room-only reservation would need to be cancelled and a package reservation would need to be made.

But this is NO REASON TO BE CONCERNED. The Disney CMs are good at this. They will book your new package reservation first, and only after that's finalized will they cancel the existing room-only reservation.

It's impossible to simply add Dining to an existing room-only reservation. Room-only and package reservations are done through 2 different sides of the house. They are also coded differently in the database, room-only reservations with 12 digit reservation numbers and packages with 8 digit ones.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain all this to me. I find the help I get here 100 times better than talking to an agent. I've beent to 2 different places...CAA and a travel agent who supposedly is an "expert". From what I've read hear based on suggestions from everyone,I have more info than the "agents". I really appreciate all your help!

NYC
Level Contributor
452 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Add DDP after hotel reservations?

We were able to add the DDP to our reservation. We booked the hotel & parks and then once we got our ADRs we called back up and added the DDP. No problems at all, this was also 45 days before we are going too. We have the same reservation number. We got a new email confirm, new letter in the mail & just paid with the cc on the phone. It wasn't an issue and really easy.