We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
700 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

As I have been volunteered by the rest of our group to work out the restaurants using the Dining Plan I need help please. I am really feeling the pressure! I am aware about the flexibility of the DP i.e. we don't have to use our dining credits every day

Details: Four 50ish couples with no kids staying for 7 nights in May. No plans to rent cars at this stage. WDW first timers. Staying at POR.

Is this correct: Especially not having cars, we should use the POR restaurants and the theme park restaurants? By the sound of things to use other resorts restaurants is going to take up too much time getting to and fro if we have to use the Disney transport?

Do the restaurants stay open longer than the theme parks?

Do you need to book for counter service breakfast, lunch, dinner? I realise table service meals are a must in most cases to book ahead.

So far restaurants I am considering include: San Angel Inn (Epcot - Mexican), Boatwright's at the POR, Hoop de do dinner show, Fantasmique/Mama Melrose (DHS - Italian), Coral Reef (Epcot - seafood).

Thanks for any help!

Mentioned in this post
San Angel Inn Restaurante
San Angel Inn Restaurante
1,560 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,703 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Coral Reef Restaurant
Coral Reef Restaurant
3,122 Reviews
Orlando, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

You can use any of the resort restaurants- not just POR. You can also use the DTD ones (but only limited ones are on the plan).

They can be got to by bus/monorail/boat. Restaurants close when the park does. but the resort ones and DTD ones do not.

Some of the better restaurants use 2 TS credits but are worh ti in my opinion. If you do this, you can eat out at one of the DTD ones not on the plan the night you have no credits for.

www.wdwinfo.com/disney-dining-plan-2008.htm

Have heard some bad reports about San Angel lately. Do not eat Mexican, so don't know if they are correct or not.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

menus:

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

Jane -- I did Mama Melrose last year and really did not like it at all -- I heard great things about Hollywood and Vine (the buffet dinner) and the Brown Derby (I think it takes 2 dining credits though) -- If you like Italian food then Mama Melrose is not for you!

We enjoyed the breakfasts at Disney the most!

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood & Vine
Hollywood & Vine
2,257 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

You can go to the other resorts too, for instance, when you go to Animal Kingdom you can have dinner at Animal kingdom Lodge (Jiko or Boma)taking a bus there and when on MK you can go to the resorts on the monorail(esp. Polynisian)

Brown Derby at HS is a great option for you.

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Animal Kingdom...
7,378 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,057 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

We're not huge Mama Melrose fans either but with the Dining Plan and a Fantasmic package I'd probably go with it. We found Hollywood and Vine too loud and hectic for our tastes. The Brown Derby was much better for us but it would eat up 2 of your dining credits. Just make sure you schedule your MM reservation early enough. The time we were there the service was very, very slow and we almost missed Fantasmic.

I hate to sound so negative but we're not huge fans of San Angel. We've been several times and both the food and service were always meh. Le Cellier (steak) is very popular and we really enjoyed our meal at Tutto Italia, although you're already doing Italian. Since you have a large party the teppan restaurant in Japan might be fun. You'd probably get a table to yourselves.

We do love Coral Reef though!

It's really not hard to get to the resort restaurants on the Monorail as long as the Magic Kingdom is open. Just a bus to the MK and a quick Monorail ride to the restaurant. My family really enjoyed the food at Kona Cafe in the Polynesian Resort.

Happy Planning!

Jennifer

Mentioned in this post
Fantasmic!
Fantasmic!
14,382 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Hollywood & Vine
Hollywood & Vine
2,257 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Le Cellier Steakhouse
Le Cellier Steakhouse
2,737 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Tutto Italia Ristorante
Tutto Italia Ristorante
1,419 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Coral Reef Restaurant
Coral Reef Restaurant
3,122 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,571 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Kona Cafe
Kona Cafe
2,577 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,057 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

I should have said that most of the restaurants I mentioned were visited by my hubby and myself and we're in your age range. I would feel differently about Hollywood and Vine if I had the kids along! My two were with me at Tutto Italia and Kona but they are also adults.

Oh, and about the restaurants and park hours, there's no one answer. Some take reservations right up to the time the park closes. We had an 8:50 reservation at Tutto, for example. Some close earlier.

Jennifer

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood & Vine
Hollywood & Vine
2,257 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Tutto Italia Ristorante
Tutto Italia Ristorante
1,419 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Kona Cafe
Kona Cafe
2,577 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

I would highly recommend Le Cellier at the Canada Pavilion in EPCOT - fantastic food and wonderful ambiance. The waiting staff are very professional and friendly. Some of the restaurants you mention are quite loud and lively - more suitable for families with children.

Mentioned in this post
Le Cellier Steakhouse
Le Cellier Steakhouse
2,737 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Epcot
Epcot
24,703 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,057 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

If you're looking for a more adult experience I have a Coral Reef tip. Don't make a big deal about scoring a table on the first (Aquarium) level. It's a bit of a circus down there with the all of little ones trying to get close to the tank. I love kids but I had one little guy practically in my lap for an entire meal once. You can still see the fish from the rear of the restaurant and it's much quieter. The tables are set in tiers so they all have a view.

Jennifer

Mentioned in this post
Coral Reef Restaurant
Coral Reef Restaurant
3,122 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,545 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

To answer some of the Meta queations, its depends on which resorts you are interested in dining at...

The Poly, Contemp and Grand Floridian are all a quick monorail or boat hop from Magic Kingdom. Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness are easily accessed by boat.

Beach Club, Yacht Club and Boardwalk are a short boat ride from Epcot or HS.

AKL is the only one that is really difficult to get to, but Boma is so worth it.

Restaurants in parks follow park hours, in general.

You cannot book counter service, they are walkup.

Square foot for Square foot, you can't beat epcot for dining options. The boat from HS goes all the way to epcot if you want to end an HS day there as well.

Mentioned in this post
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Grand Floridian...
4,651 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Magic Kingdom Park
Magic Kingdom Park
59,571 Reviews
Orlando, FL
New York
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Working out restaurants for the Dining Plan - help please!

I didn't enjoy Coral reef too much. You have to do LeCellier in Epcot and either Jiko or Boma at AKL. San Angel wasn't a favorite either.

If you like Italian, I like Tonys Town Square in MK.

I also like SciFi Dine In. I heard it was being refurbished and should be finished soon.

There are so many restaurants to choose from.

Mentioned in this post
Epcot
Epcot
24,703 Reviews
Orlando, FL
Tony's Town Square Restaurant
Tony's Town Square...
2,310 Reviews
Orlando, FL