We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

Does anyone know the average distance a guest walks a day at each park? MK? Epcot? AK? DHS?

I'm trying to gauge how many calories I can get away with without gaining any weight while on vacation.

Thanks!

pa
Level Contributor
54,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

Just an example on our last few trips

June, 95* plus everyday, 6 and 7 year old boys, go, go,go, we walked an avarage of 12 miles a day ( I won't even begin to tell you how much sweating there was )

September, average 88*, walked average 9 miles a day ( we were on a grown-ups Holiday and didn't have a Military Plan for the Parks )

Novemner, 75* - 85*, 1st visit for 4 year old princess. 15 miles a day, everyday, for a week ( I needed a vacation after that week )

Epcot seems like alot of walking but I think we always put in more miles at Animal Kingdom

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,230 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

According to my meter we averaged about 11 miles a day last visit on a fairly sedate schedule. Lots of that was transiting via Epcot tho

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

My cousin took a pedometer with him to the Magic Kingdom, and his family (with 3 younger elementary kids) walked 14 miles that day.

WV
Level Contributor
566 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

Here is the problem for me.... I am a RN and I am on my feet 12 hours a day. Even so, I find I have to tape my feet by the end of the second day at Disney from all the walking I do. Sometimes I find myself breaking out in a sort of "run" to get from one ride to another. I hit the parks early and sometimes go until night. Even though I walk my butt off, I never and I repeat never loose weight at Disney. As a matter of fact, I gain 5 pound on an average trip. Maybe you should loose 5 pounds before you leave so you can just return to your average weight when you return home :-)

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

The year I wore a pedometer, I was also averaging about 12 to 14 miles per day.

My longest distance was definitely at Epcot. Just around the World Showcase is more than one mile.

Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

I have worked very hard since Thanksgiving to lose 16 of the 20 pounds I needed to lose. I am firmly planted in calorie counting mode, but being that we are in Disney, and will have the DDP, I'm a little worried about gaining it all back next week(we leave in 1 hour). I won't get upset if I gain 3 or 4 pounds, though I'd rather not gain any and I have no illusions of actually losing weight.

I have tried to keep my calorie intake between 1200 and 1300 calories. I'm hoping with all the walking I'll be doing, that if I take in 1600-1800 calories a day this week, I'll be able to either maintain or gain very little. Bear in mind, most of the time I'll either be pushing our caboose stroller ( a regular stroller with a small seat & stand on the back for a larger child, too) or actually carrying my 35 pound little Mommy's boy (he won't have anything to do with anybody but me, except for the occasional moment when he's clinging to his oldest sister. I can't even go to the bathroom alone! LOL!)

I was actually thinking it would be more like 2 or 3 miles a day--and in terms of calorie burning that is probably closer to accurate because of all the stopping and starting. But hey, at the very least, I'll still be getting some form of exercise, even though I'm away from my beloved treadmill and videos! LOL!

Thanks for the info, everybody! Have a Magical day!

Statesville, North...
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

Sorry, I meant to imply that I am only 4 pounds from my ideal weight for my height which makes it all the more difficult to lose more weight and even more frustrating to gain some back. So close and still so far......

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

Hi tornadochaser

I think bought my husbond and me lost a couple of pound each, but I don´t think it had any thing to do with the walking, I walk a lot in my work. So that was normal.

But when we are on a holiday we eat meals when we are hungry.

When we are at home we have to fit in the meals after work schudeles and kids etc, so often we find our self eating a lot of sweets(snacks) in the evening when we are home.

When we are on holiday since we eat good and have the time to eat properly, we don´t eat sweets and after 17 days without sweets well a couple of pounds dissaperad.

Now we are starting the bad habbit again and more and more sweets in the home is to find and today I have made myself waffels, so I think the pounds are going to go up fast.

Mutter

Fredericton, NB
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

Tornado,

You'll walk 2 miles just from the parking lots to the gate and back. You're in for a lot more miles than you think.

Good luck and have fun. That's what vacations are for.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Average walking distance for a day at Disney?

Hi Tornadochaser

Are You going now ???

Have a very nice holiday.

Mutter