We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

glasgow
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

Going to Orlando first two weeks in July. We are staying in Davenport for a week then down to the beach for the second week. We aren't going to go to any parks except Seaworld and maybe a water park but can anyone tell me will the heat be unbearable. We are taking my Mum who is 70 and although she has been several times in April with us she is worried it will be to hot to go out during the day.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

Well it will be hot - added to the humidity it can make things pretty uncomfortable.

Just take things steady, avoid being out during the hottest times of the day, drink plenty of water and stay in the shade or seek out aircon wherever possible.

2. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 February 2009, 12:43
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

According to this from weather.com

weather.com/outlook/…

July is the hottest month for Orlando, with an average high of 92°F and a record of 101°F.

As mentioned above, the humidity is what make's the heat hard to bear. Keep plenty of water with you, and try to avoid direct sunlight for too long and you should be fine.

Have a great trip!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

Mum might be too hot. I am 68 but I live here so the heat does not bother me. I would also suggest a wide brimmed hat, good sunglasses. I would assume as you are coming from Scotland you have the possibility of melting (-:

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

Lilac,

it will be hot, maybe too hot for your mom in the middle of the day. I'm not old (yet but I am a year older lol), but I went to FL for the first time in July ever last year. It was so hot, I went to the beach and decided it was too hot to stay! I had to go home and sit in the pool or inside.

Where I am from is hot too in summer

(MD), but with bad air quality, heat and humidity we never spent much time outside at that time of year unless we were swimming. It was from your a/c home to your a/c car to your a/c work to your a/c mall etc.

So I think a table service lunch inside in the cool, or somewhere else inside or in the shade will be necessary. Also to keep her hydrated. Get to the parks before opening, and go back to your hotel for 1-4 pm. These things might help.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

Something you need to be aware. Be sure to get a very, very strong sunblock for your Mum, like SPF 60 or so.

The Florida sun is very, very strong with UV rays in July, to go along with all the heat and humidity. She could get very sunburned very easily and very quickly.

I guess the really applies to all of you, but I know elderly folks have more sensitive skin and the sunblock will be an absolute necessity.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

Hey Kat Cubs Fan..I am 68 and still do not FEEL elderly just mature! I am of Norwegian decent so am fair but I hit the beach for nice walks and the plop myself in a chair to read. I use SPF 15 but I am a Floridian. I feel your advice for someone from Scotland is right on though as unless you are acclimated to the climate you would truly suffer. When I have friends visit from the northern US in summer they keep the a/c cranked on low whereas I keep my house open most of the summer. I am on the water and have terrific cross ventilation so with the ceiling fans I am very comfortable. Sure think a Scottish Mum will not want to be out as it is not just the heat but the humidity. Perhaps early morning and late afternoon as we will be in Daylight Savings then which will mean if the clock reads 4:00 p.m. it will actually be 3:00 p.m. sun time.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

tip: Start the car and let it run for 5 mins to allow the Air Conditioning to kick in, before your mum leaves the house to get in the car.

A car in the Florida heat is sweltering in the summer. The metal of the seat belt can BURN if you're not careful. Plus inside a car can feel like you can't breathe because of the humidity... hot, think, wet air.

Let the car cool off before transporting children or the 'mature' :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

Lady, a good tip,

although i tend to park in the shade and open my car doors before setting off as i find that helps in the same way but burns no gas lol. Great point, and I always have a sunshade for the windscreen.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
263 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going first two weeks in July-too hot????????????

until last year we had never been in july.

wow

it is very hot ,very humid,and lots of rain.

if you like the heat i think you will be fine.

if you dont i think you might struggle.

it all depends what you intend doing,

i am sure you will have a great time