We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at WDW buffets.

Norwood, MA
Level Contributor
355 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at WDW buffets.

Just when I thought all the food on the DDP was crap I had lunch at Tuskers in AK. The food there is great and I would recommend it to anyone. Initially I got the receipt that showed zero and thought ok, it's a buffet and they're not looking for a tip, but then the waitress brought the "real bill" with that 18 and 20 percent suggested tip.

I usually just leave around 10% if it is a buffet and decided that is what I would leave there (it actually came out to about 12%). I told the waitress what I left and why and she didn't seem very appreciative. Should I have left 20%?

pa
Level Contributor
54,505 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

I think 10 - 15 % for a Buffet is fine. No need to explain yourself to the servers

It was easier when the Tip was included in the Dining Plan, sorry they changed that part :(

Glad you enjoyed Tusker House :)

GLASGOW
Level Contributor
298 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

Hi there,

Being from the UK we are very aware of the custom of tipping when visiting the US. I have eaten breakfast at Tusker and enjoyed it. I always leave 18-20% for good service even when eating at a buffet as the server still asks if everything is okay, brings you drinks and generally enhances your dining experience.

I wish the tip was still included in DDP!

In the UK many people don't tip anything which I think is unfair if the service was good.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

I think if the bill says 18-20% then this should be a good guide. Personally, I always tip between 15-20% as I thought these were generally accepted amounts- 15% for OK and 20% for good service.

I must admit I am a bit confused though because I thought buffets were different.

I would guess that if you have to tip 18-20% for a buffet, then you should probably tip around 25% for a normal service meal in a restaurant, and possibly 30% for a good service meal, except in expensive restaurants where it presumably is closer to 35%.

I am guessing this may eventually go up to 60-70% in time.

Norwood, MA
Level Contributor
355 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

Thanks Chinners, in the future I'll just hand them a blank check and let them figure out how much I owe them. I know they'll "do the right thing" since they work at Disney and we know they wouldn't try to take advantage of their guests.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

If you are handing out blank checks...I will take one..Thank you.

liverpool uk
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

Ok So you're on the dining plan for 4, You eat at a counter service, You don't order anything else that is not including in your DDP credits - With neither good or bad service, How much on average would you tip?

Norwood, MA
Level Contributor
355 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

I didn't see any of those annoying "tip cups" at the quick service places I ate, so I would say you don't need to tip anything at those places (for now).

pa
Level Contributor
54,505 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

No Tipping at Counter Service

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

I think 18-20% is high for buffet. I would normally tip about $1 pp at a buffet. I do not tip for counter service and tip 20% for full service.

Lakewood, Colorado
Level Contributor
181 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping at WDW buffets.

I agree with Hawkshoe...at a buffet you serve youself, so I leave $1.00 per person.