We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
535 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I've started looking into a car rental for pickup at Orlando airport and drop off in Ft. Myers. Unfortunately, it looks like all the car rental agencies charge about $150 in drop off fees. That is outrageous considering its still in the same state and only a few hours away. Can someone tell me if there is a way to get around this fee or if there is a car rental company that doesn't charge such exorbitant fees for drop off at a different location? Thanks for your time!

pa
Level Contributor
53,704 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

I just checked the Budget Site, there was no extra fee for dropping off at a different location. I used the link provided from www.mousesavers.com That site also has discount codes if interested. Hope that is of some help

Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

What rental car company's are you looking at? Most in Fla allow pickup at one location and dropoff at another for no fee.

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

We booked direct with Alamo from the UK and have hired a car exactly as you require with pick up at Orlando Intl and drop off at Fort Myers, and we did not have to pay any premium for this.

Va
Level Contributor
10,582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

That is not uncommon. They will usually let you drop cars off within the same city, but if you go outside the area they will charge you. There are times that they will do so at no charge if they need cars in an area or if one area has more cars than they need. If one location is a franchise then they will always charge because they have to get the car back.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
535 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

Hi Partypa,

Thanks for the info about Budget. I had checked budget previously and it had come up with drop off fees, then after you told me to check - I did and the drop off fees were gone! Not sure what was going on there but I compared them with the other car rental agencies and they were the cheapest since I used a code from the mousesavers website. Thanks everyone for all your help!

pa
Level Contributor
53,704 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

Glad we could help

It's always good to hear that things have been sorted out and money has been saved, helps make the Holiday planning less stressful :)

Lititz, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

Hi going2maui2006! Try this code at the Budget website. It's been giving fantastic rates, and has been confirmed to be successful by several people here on TA! Good luck! Code: x797726

8. Re: Car Rental Pickup in MCO Drop off at Ft. Myers - HIGH FEES!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 17:22