We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

Hi All,

We have been planning this trip for over a year, to take both daughters and son-in-laws, and 4 grandaughters.... we are flying out on 16th April and one son-in-law has just had a minor operation for the second time on his ankle due to arthritis...but ths time it has not worked!!!!! this now means that he will be on cruthces on/off until he has the now major operation of ankle fusion...

Do we need to contact the air line for assistance, and how do we go about getting help in disney and the other parks as there may be times when he needs a wheelchair........

sunlover

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

OOPS.........

Should have ended the above post ...LONGLEGS..

I am sunlover on another forum.....sorry.....

must be my age!!!!!!!!!!

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

Have you contacted your travel insurance company to advise them of the situation? You **MUST** do so.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

Not yet, I must speak to him tonight and ask him to call his insurance company.....

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

I would see about aranging a wheel chair to take with you incase you need it out there. You can hire them in disney but it works out quite expensive if you have to use them every day. Also they can only be used in the disney parks, but if you take your own you will have it all the time. Try and look on the bright side-You will get to que jump at the parks! and at least you will have somewhere to dump all the stuff when you are the rides. As others have said you must do the insurance stuff.

Good luck

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

Thanks for the advice...

we will have a look at maybe hiring one from the UK,

i agree it will probably be cheaper than getting one from disney..

longlegs

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

Hi Longlegs,

My boyfriend (now Fiance, cant get used to saying that sounds a bit poncy). broke his ankle 3 weeks before we went over Christmas.

We informed Virgin Atlantic, Thomsons and Disney Pop Century. Both by phone and in writing.

We flew from Gatwick and you will need to go to the Special Assistant Desk which is opposite normal check in but slightly on your left (near a lift???).

Even though we had informed everybody they still gave us a normal seat. He was very uncomfortable squashed next to a window seat. Even when we got on the plane i asked a hostess if there were any spare seats where he could stretch. Told NO. And then i few seconds before moving a Fat lump of a bloke came running down the aisle , plonked himself in a seat and gave a thumbs up sign to the rest of his family seated 10 rows behind. I was fuming. Since when does being overweight give you preference over someone who could do with a more comfortable seat????

We got a letter/certificate from the Hospital & local GP but this didnt make the slightest bit of difference. The only bonus we had was a wheelchair coming off the flight and prioirty boarding.

So if i was you i would be pretty heavy and clear on your insutructions. Unfortunately ours totally fell on deaf ears.

If you are staying on site you can have a complementary wheelchair but im not sure if you can take it off site. I think maybe you can?? You get priority boarding on a Disney bus which does take longer for those able bodied people to wait, but if he can hop up a few steps on the back of the bus it wont take so long. Normally at the parks the wheelchairs are to the right before you enter the main gate or slightly after.

Hope this helps.

Caz Essex xxx

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

Hi longlegs,

If necessary you can hire a wheelchair quite cheaply from the British Red Cross. Your local Social Services may also be able to help. How good/helpfull they are seems to depend on where you live! There is a lot of ground to cover and although you can rent a wheelchair at the parks it is approx. $10 per day. You can't take it out of the park it is rented from and it means that if you were to go shopping he might have a problem. If he has a UK disabled parking badege you can go to the local tax office with his passport, badge and supporting documentation and get a red temporary parking permit. This will entitle you to park very near the front of the parks and also in the handicapped bays at shops, malls etc. I updated the situation regarding disabled parking quite recently as I applied for my badge via email If you act quickly you could also do this as the turnround is approximately three weeks. This is the link to my previous post which should help:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k2562…

Regardless of what anyone else may say, being in a wheelchair does not mean you can queue jump! Most of the parks have wheelchair accessable mainstream queues. Those that don't have a rear entrance to use, but you may still have to wait in line. Go to the 'guest assistance' department when you get to Disney and they will give you a card advising cast members of what assistance you need. I am afraid that Universal are not as helpfull as Disney.

Presumably if he has an ongoing condition like arthritis he will have notified the insurance of this when he booked it originally. He just needs to update them of the situation as it is now. If he doesn't and he needs any form of treatment in the USA (even unrelated to his arthritis) the insurance company can refuse to cover him. That is why it is really important to contact them now.

If you have booked through a travel agent contact them as soon as possible and ask them to request wheelchair assiatance for your son-in-law. This should mean they will get him a wheelchair at the airport (if he is not taking one) and he will be able to pre-board with use of an ambu-lift or an airbridge. One other member of your party can accompany him. The rest of you will meet up on the plane. There will be similar assistance at the other end. If you have booked the flights yourself then you will have to speak to the 'special assistance' department of the airline concerned. Ask for arrangements to be made for both outbound and inbound flights.

This should help you all have a happy and enjoyable holiday.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

After reading Caz's post I just thought I should mention something else. If you aren't sure that your request for assistance has been put in the system you can check yourself. Telephone the airport the day before and ask who the handling agent is for your particular airline and get their telephone number. The night before you fly phone the handling agent and ask them to check the manifest to make sure that your disabled assistance has been booked. They can add it on even at that late stage.

Regards,

Deaconblue

9. Re: help!!! now going to be on crutches when we go....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 16:17