We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please with dining -celiac questions

uk
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help please with dining -celiac questions

Help please, does anyone know how easy it is to dine in Universal, disney (st angelos/hollywood dine/kona/yeti place/rainforest/PH (can't remember name)) and in other orlando resurants - olive garden, crab shack, red lobster ect when you have celiac. I have just been diagonsed and I am not sure how easy eating out will be. I am wondering if I should bother with dining reservations or will I just have to cook in villa. I don't want to eat out and end up having to have plane grilled meat and salid every day. Also if anyone knows how easy is it to get suitable fast food in the parks for lunch. I can't belive this kind of thing is happening to us again, on our first vist my daughter was diagnosed with diabeties a few weeks before we travelled and selecting/timing food was kind of an issue for the whole holiday, I want to be better prepared to try and aviod that sort of thing again (although I realise this will be easierto cope with, I don't want us wasting time going for meals and then rrealising that the resturants don't cater for gulten free diets).

pa
Level Contributor
54,254 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please with dining -celiac questions

Disney is great when it comes to Special Diets. I travel with several Family members that have Special needs and we have had wonderful experiences with the Chefs at most of the Table Service Restaurants. You can also request the ingredients list from all the Counter Service Restaurants

Have a look at

http://allears.net/din/special.htm

NYC
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please with dining -celiac questions

Disney is definitely great with special diets, including gluten-free. There are also several restaurant chains that you'll find in Orlando, such as P.F. Chang's, that have a gluten-free menu. For information about traveling in Florida, take a look at the Gluten-Free Guidebook:

http://www.glutenfreeguidebook.com/

There are several posts about Florida. Hope that this helps!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please with dining -celiac questions

My daughter has celiac disease(diagnosed almost 10 yrs. ago) and Disney is the best place ever to eat Gluten Free. They can accommodate you at both sit-down,(reservation) type restaurants and most counter service; many snack type shops also carry GF cookies and/or brownies. You can eat almost anything you can imagine if you contact them in advance. The Disney chefs are wonderful, and seem to get so much pleasure in seeing people with special diet needs enjoying their food. Just call or email Disney dining and they will email you lists of their latest info. When making reservations let the Disney rep. know you need gluten free meals. I've also been given the chef's phone#s and email addresses discussed what my daughter was most interested in eating: ex. Fried Chicken at the 50's PrimeTime diner in Disney Studios park, etc. You can also bring a small cooler with GF foods into the Disney parks.

Outside of Disney, Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville at Universal's City Walk is great. They will do a GF "Cheeseburger in paradise"; and other GF things. It is good food, in a very fun atmosphere. We always eat there when we're in town. Call and talk with them; they used to like to know a few days in advance when GF diners were coming so to be sure to have GF hamburger buns and GF desserts on hand. I think now they pretty much keep thoses items stocked, but I'd call just to be sure. www.margaritavilleorlando.com/index.php…

Olive Garden and Outback Steakhouse are two great chain restaurants to eat at for GF diners. I don't know if you're familiar with Outback Steakhouse, but in addition to great entrees, they also have a great GF dessert: "Thunder down under". My daughter's favorite dessert!

It's been several years since we were at Universal, but at the time, they did not accommodate her at all. They didn't even allow us to bring in GF food/snacks for her. There was really nothing she could eat in the Universal parks.

4. Re: Help please with dining -celiac questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 23:16