We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC area
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

We moved to Florida last year and since our daughter feels like the only Floridian who hasn't gone to Disney, we thought we'd take a quick mid-week trip up there (March)....we're on a very tight budget.

We plan to drive there (about 3-4 hours), stay overnight, and come back late the next night (i.e. 1 night lodging).

Our questions are:

- value or moderate Disney resort (for value, only the All-Sports is available...we can get a really good rate on that $69+tax, but the moderate would be $119+tax...don't plan to spend much time in the room except to sleep...but want to be comfortable. Worth the extra money?

- there's a special for Florida residents on the 2-day pass....but we'd really only be able to use it on Day 1 for a couple of hours (though maybe we could stay a little later and that way we'd see the park as it looks at night a little....)...but we're thinking it might help us not feel quite so rushed on the full day we'll be there.

We know we'll be back and really only want this to be a quick, affordable trip. I'm thinking that we should stay in the value hotel and get the 2-day pass. Otherwise, if we only have the 1-day pass, we'd get to see Downtown Disney on Day 1 (is that a good place for dinner and something to see?).

So:

- go for the cheapest (1-day pass, 1 night value)

- prioritize 2 days of park (and cheaper hotel)

OR

- prioritize nicer hotel (and 1 day at park)

Thoughts? we're only planning on going to the Magic Kingdom and know we won't see everything!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

Well, the moderates are nicer and have larger rooms. And some are a boat trip from DTD, which is a great place to have a bite to eat and shop and is of course free to enter.

So, depending on your circumstances, I would go for a one day pass and visit DTD and stay at either the value or moderate (POR for DTD boat access). I would also consider adding the dining plan.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,082 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

If you are only staying one night, a value resort will do you fine, as long as you aren't fighting over the one sink in the morning.

Try to visit Magic Kingdom on either a Tuesday or Wednesday if you can to have the smallest crowds for midweek. Thursday is usually EMH day and more folks go to M.K. that day.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

I agree with Kat, i would stay in a value and spend 2 days in the parks as there is so much to see and do. Downtown Disney is nice but it is only really restaurants and shops. If you do find time to go to another park as well as Magic Kingdom i would recommend Animal Kingdom if your daughter really loves animals or Hollywood Studios if she is in to High School Musical and stuff like that. Good luck with your decision.

Washington DC area
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

Thanks - question....the Epcott flower show starts Thursday, March 19th...we're hoping to get to Orlando on Tuesday, March 17th and go to MK on the 18th...think Wed will be crowded with people who are there early for the flower show (i.e. should we push back a day and get there Monday night to go the park on Tuesday?).

Also, the All-Sports value resort is the only one available...sounds like of the 4 values, it's the oldest/least desirable, but I'm sure it's fine, right?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,082 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

I doubt the flower festival will have any direct impact on the Wednesday crowds, and Wednesday is always the best day of the week to visit MK, so keep your plans for that day. Spring break crowds are much more of a threat for huge crowds, than the flower festival starting is going to be.

Yes, the AS Sports is the oldest and probably the least desirable of the four value resorts, but it's not a dump by any means. It's just in need of a good renovation/upgrade which will hopefully occur over the next few years.

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

I agree that the value resort will be fine, since you are only going for one night, you are going to be so busy spending time out of your room, you will only need it to sleep in. If you were going for a longer period of time I would say the moderate, but since it's one night, it will be great! Have a great tiem!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,935 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

One night a value. I wish our first few visits we stayed at a value since we only used our room to sleep.

2 days in the Parks. If you can get one done perfect time to pick a second park.

Washington DC area
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

So, for now, we decided to stay in (and made a reservation, but can always change) the Carribean for 1 night and to buy (not yet bought) a ticket for ONE day at the magic kingdom....

Here's our plan:

we'll get to Orlando around 12/1pm (we'll be leaving from 1 hour north of Miami, so hoping it will only take about 3 hours?) (in time for lunch at DTD?).....perhaps hang out in DTD a bit (forgot to ask, but my guess is that check in isn't until at least 3pm - not sure they do early arrival/check in??)...

Then we'll hang out at the hotel, spend time at the water slides, etc. (most people don't go to Orlando to hang out at the hotel, but since we don't go to hotels often and we live in Florida now, we thought that would actually be some great down time)

we'll have dinner either at the hotel or DTD, get some rest, and the next day, leave the car at the hotel, take the bus and get to the park around 9/10am on Wed (the next day - March 18th).....

We'll spend until the late afternoon at the park (can we at least get in a good 6 rides/activities in about 6 hours??), and head home to Miami around 6pm-ish?

Sound reasonable for a 1st (mellow??) trip to the Magic Kingdom?

9. Re: value or moderate resort? 1 or 2 days in MK (have 6 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 09:25