We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

I spun this idea off of another thread, but I think it would be fascinating to find out.

For all of you who have been to Disney a large number of times, what is the last thing you discovered/learned/found out about Disney World that you didn't know despite all of your previous trips?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

I found out about some of the training cast members do to be able to pilot the ferryboat. First they dock the ferry at the nose of the Grand Floridian dock. Then they have to use both the bow and stern engines to back the boat away one foot and use the tillers to move the boat sideways to the corner of the dock. Then they turn the corner of the dock, all while keeping the nose of the ferryboat one foot away from the dock! That's how well they have to be able to control it. I saw them doing it early one morning.

Considering a lot of people still think that the ferry is on rails, that's pretty impressive.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

I just discovered Philharmagic in December... what a little gem. Don't know how long it's been there but I loved it.

Saw people talking about it on the forums and decided to make a point of finding it.

newcastle/durham
Level Contributor
469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

dole whips were my latest discovery!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

On our last trip, (I have lost count of hoe many times I have gone, at least 20, probably close to 30 times), I finally stopped and tried the Dole Whips- Yumm... I can't believe I have been missing that all this time. The other new thing we learned was that there is a waterfall back in the Canada area in EPCOT, How have I missed that all these years?

Also learned that my six year old son "HATES" Honey I shrunk the Audience and Test Track ;)

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

Excellent call on the Dole Whips. I only discovered those about two years ago. Oh, the time I've wasted not getting them!...

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

whats a dole whip????????

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

WE learned about KidCot, Crafts that are done in most of the Countries in EPCOT. They do a project and then get a "charm" of sorts put on their necklace.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

They have a similar program for kids in animal Kingdom also- if you collect all the stamps there the last cast member to stamp your book, has to do the "Raffiki Bop", a very funny dance, the kids loved it.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

And I didn't know that about AK either, nolatrekkers! My kids will love that.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Topic for All of you Disney Long-timers

The last thing I discovered was that I still had not tried a dole whip.