We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney World, Where to Start?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Disney World, Where to Start?

Hello all,

I am planning on going to DisneyWorld the second week in May (9-16). I have been to DisneyLand several times, and DisneyWorld seemed like an easy choice for our vacation. It will just be my husband and me - no kids - celebrating our one year wedding anniversary. (we are in our early 30s) Turns out there are many more options that I ever dreamed, and I don't know where to start. We are looking to stay onsite, probably at a moderate level, that much I know. Should I get a book? Is there a good book that is current and lays out all the options/cool things to do? Or would I be better served just sticking with the Disney website and TA?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

TA can give you more info than the books imo.

I would suggest Port Orleans or Caribbean beach resort depending on the theme you'd prefer.

No need to rent a car if staying onsite

I would suggest maybe a 3 day base ticket or hopper pass with water parks and more option, that will give you 3 days in the parks and 3 water park or Disneyquest entrances which should fill up your week long vaca nicely.

I would also recommend booking tickets to Cirque du Soleil for a special anniversary night. The show is AMAZING, and it's located right there in downtown Disney.

You may also want to look into the Disney Dining plan and see if it's cost effective for you.

Disney has a lot to do, the compound here in Orlando is 40 square miles. Golf courses, 2 mini golf courses, Downtown Disney, The Boardwalk, Horseback riding, etc etc

A must see for adult travelers is Epcot... don't miss it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

As well as the two hotels mentionned above, with two adults of 30 or so I might consider Coranodo springs as well as they have good dining options and a nightclub and I hear the pool is nice. It is a more adult oriented resort as they host conventions there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

A book would not hurt. One to keep in the car to glance thru and again on the plane.

Go thru the posts of the experts and trip reports of all.

The Boardwalk is cool thing to do. You can reach it from Epcot or park at one of the hotels for a few hours.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

Hi.

I certainly agree with the advice that TA Destination expert ladyemm provided for you.

By studying her many posts you can accumulate a wonderful file of many varieties of activities available to both of you during your week.

And, if budget is unlimited, then staying at a Disneyworld Resort Hotel is a must!

The planning is always the most fun,IMO! So enjoy the planning. Take notes from the many Trip Reports and Resort Reviews that are available to you here on Trip Advisor.

I again agree with ladyemm most wholeheartedly that Epcot is a must see and do (I suggest over 2 days). The Iluminations fireworks over the lake is a must see. A patio dinner at the Crown and Fork Restaurant is one of the best places to see it.

Then the Animal Kingdom (and the wonderful restaurants that are in the Lodge (for a magical and expensive dinner reserve at the elegant Jirko (I think that is its name) ( aka The Meeting Place) with a view of the gardens at night and go early enough to see the animals return to the watering hole at sunset from the savannah).

Then the Magic Kingdom and plan to take a boat ride over to see the Hoop De Doo Review that evening. A great fun show.

Then the Hollywood Studios. Pick a night that Fantasmic is being presented. Plan on attending the last show. Also enjoy a turkey leg at the Toluca streetside stand, across the street from the Beauty and the Beast Show's entrance, and plan on seeing this show too. If you enjoy the American Idol TV Show,then you should also enjoy the American Idol Experience that features actual live performancs by Idol wanabees! Many of the young performers were very talented on the day that we went.

So there. A few specific suggestions to get you started collecting ideas. You have picked an ideal time to visit and there are sensational bargains all over the place right now so do consider snatching up a great deal for yourselves at a DisneyWorld Resort if you can udget for it.

If you cannot afford it, well, hey, then charge it and later, declare bankrupcy, and then ask for a Federal Government Bail Out to pay the debt off! Its the American Way!

Enjoy your planning. Happy Anniversary.

For water parks, you cannot beat either Typhoon Lagoon or

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
339 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

My husband and I went to Disney World for our honeymoon, last year, and are going again for our anniversary this year. It is still just us, and we are 30 & 31! If you are looking for books, I would recommend either Birnbaum's Guide to Disney World without Kids, or the Unofficial Guide to Disney World for Grown Ups. I've found both of these books really useful!

I would recommend Port Orleans French Quarter to stay at. We stayed there on our honeymoon and loved it. It's really quiet and has a romantic feel to it!

Lastly, everyone on this forum has a lot of knowledge and good suggestions! I would definitely look here for answers to your questions!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

I agree with the suggestion to go to the Boardwalk and Downtown Disney. I love strolling both places, and there are some really great places to eat.

Also, Epcot is my fav park and there are some really good dining choices there that would be great for a adult only trip.

Also, for a romantic dinner you could book one of the resort restaurants that you can see the Firewoks form such as Narcoosee's. Have a look at some menus here:

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

We just stayed at Coronado Springs and for adults only this is the best moderate in my opinion. The resort is very romantic, they have a night club, they have a spa with a gym, massages, tanning and hair and nails. We had children with us and you hardly saw any unless at the main pool or arcade.

The only reason I would say no to Coronado for you, it might feel more like home with the mexican style buildings.

I like to book on my own through disney but several use a agent. Be sure to look at restaurants and look into the dining plan.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

Thank you for your suggestions. I figured this was the best place to start.

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

You have came to the rite place. This is where I have learned everything, I need to know and more. I agree that you can learn it all on here, no need to waste money for the book. But if you would like to, go to the local libary and check one out. But TA is better!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney World, Where to Start?

It can be a bit overwhelming to start planning a first trip to WDW. This site is a great start, you will learn so much just flicking through the various posts and trip reports.

However I would recommend getting a book, it is nice to have all the info right in front of you and all together. It makes it easy to pick out restaurants and rides that you might want to do. I would recommend 'The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World", it isn't written like a traditional guide book, it is quite irreverant and fun. Also, because it is not an official guide book, it is not afraid to point out attractions that are not worth queuing for. It has a feature where it rates each ride with marks out of 5 by different age groups. As two adults without kids, this helped us avoid some of the real 'baby rides'. This book also gives you access to the website www.touringplans.com this rates each day in the parks on a crowd level from 1-10 so it can help identify what parks are best to visit on a certain day.

We are similar ages to you and your hubby, we stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and really enjoyed it, however, this year we are staying at Port Orleans Riverside, we just liked the look of it better. The themeing is beautiful and it has quite a romantic feel. It also has more ammenities than the French Quarter. Remember though, if you stay at one side of the Port Orleans, you can use the ammenities of the other.