We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest flight question

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest flight question

I know this is a crazy question, but as crazy as it may seam, it's real, and I really do need the answers. So here it goes...and I really do appreciate the help!

Okay, I have flown several times, but never have I had to change flight's. So my question is, once I get off my flight to go to the other do I have to go back thru security, or do I just find the next gate? I can take a flight where I do not have to change, but it lands later then I want to arrive. So is changing flights a crazy process?

Thanks!!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest flight question

Ive never had to go back through security again and have switched planes many times.

Take the earlier flight, more time to spend at the parks!

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest flight question

Thanks for the response. One more question, do I have to have to claim my bags or will the switch them for me?

Thanks!

rhode island
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest flight question

your luggage will be checked in for your final destination. The airlines will move the bags to each of your planes. You just need to get yourself onto your flights. Hope this helps.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest flight question

If you bought the flight as one ticket then they will check your bags through to your final destination, they will let you know when you check your bags where they are checked through to. It sounds like you bought a SW flight that stops and you change planes along the way, if this is the case your bags will be checked to your final destination.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest flight question

Guess you have had your question answered but do not go outside of the secured area. Otherwise you will have to go through security again. Make sure you have sufficient time to go from gate to gate. I think you are flying SW and if you are here is a hint ~ exactly 24 hours before your flight is due to leave sign in on line. I get on the computer as little early, sign on the the site and once the time is exactly at the 24 hour mark I hit send. This determines how you will board. If you are going through LOVE Field it is very easy to negotiate. Changing planes is easy. As soon as you get off your flight check and see what gate you need to go to (there are display boards all over) and head to the gate. You do not need to check in again as once you do this you are set. Relax and enjoy your flight!

PA
Level Contributor
463 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest flight question

yes, if you're flying southwest all the way through, they will get your bags on your connecting flight. It's no big deal, unless your originating flight was delayed. All you will have to do is get off your plane and find your gate for your next flight.

One word of caution - always check the flight boards when you arrive at your connection to double-check your gate. Sometimes they do switch from the gate that's on your ticket.

texas
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southwest flight question

Min, My 15 yo daughter flew to virginia to visit her big sis last summer. She flew from Austin, switched planes AND terminals at DFW, then on to Va.She flew on AA.We had only flown once before, so she was no expert, but wanted to go see her sis so bad and I coould not go that I let her do this. Trust me, Airlines are very easy to navigate and you will do fine. Just make sure you have a little time built in. Her flight in Austin was late, so we told the agents that she had a connecting flight and was cutting it close. There would be another flight 4 hours later if she missed the connection, but she wanted to make it. She gets off the plane in DFW and runs through 3 terminals and gets there just in time as they were getting ready to stop boarding. Its a trip she will always remember, running thru DFW

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southwest flight question

HI Min - I would suggest that you pack a carry on containing items you will need for 2 days, just in case your luggage doesn't make it to the next plane. Yes, I am speaking from experience!!

Durant, Ok
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Southwest flight question

Thank you, thank you! For ALL of your responses, I feal alot better about this now. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

Have a great day!

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,420 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Southwest flight question

Minmurphy: Because you are flying Southwest, I want to make sure that you have purchased a single round-trip ticket from your home airport, to Orlando. If so, the other posts are correct.

If you purchased two different tickets; say one from OKC to Dallas round-trip and one from Dallas to Orlando round-trip, let us know. This will change some of the info, that has been posted.