We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney on a budget?

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
928 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Disney on a budget?

Were thinking the frist week in Aug.-because thats when i can have vacation time.NEVER BEEN.Plus its our kids b-day the frist week in Aug.They are now 5 and 7.We will drive from texas.So were use to the heat that i have read about there.What are some tips ideas-Savings etc...Thanks for any help.

England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney on a budget?

For all the latest deals go on to www.mousesavers.com and maybe sign up for the newletter this will give you all the latest savings.

pa
Level Contributor
54,310 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney on a budget?

There is still time to book the Buy 4 Get 3 Free Promotion, very nice deal

www.wdwinfo.com/disneypackages.htm

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
531 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney on a budget?

If your kids have a birthday that week (hey me too!) then they will get some kind birthday thing. I think you can opt for free park ticket for that person on that day or you can get some kind of gift card which is only valid on that day. Either way a good deal. I don't know much about it as I'll never get to take advantage of this, as I refuse to travel anywhere in August, far too busy. But others can tell you more.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney on a budget?

We've been in August quite a few times. We're neighbors from state next door and, like you, are used to the heat! It's definitely do-able but I highly recommend taking it slowly and avoiding mid-day.

We've also been where you are: young kids and on a budget and managed.

Tickets: You can get a small discount by subscribing to the newsletter at

http://www.mousesavers.com

I'd avoid the other discounters. Many of them are selling partially used tickets (not allowed by Disney) or are tied to attendance at a high-pressure and lengthy time-share pitch.

Lodging: You can save significantly here. Two bedroom condos off-site often are available for not much more than a value room on Disney property. With a condo you'll have a kitchen which will give you a great deal of flexibilty when it comes to your food budget. I'd stock up on groceries when they were on sale and raid the pantry before we left. If you're a camping family and want to stay on-site Ft. Wilderness is an option. We spent our first 10 years of Disney vacations camping in our travel trailer.

Food: Back in the day I prepared at least 75% of our meals in the camper. This provided a HUGE savings and allowed me to feed my kids the foods that I wanted them to have. A few weeks before vacation I would begin preparing double batches of whatever we were having for dinner and freeze the leftovers for vacation. I liked things like soups, chili, etc. that could be popped into the microwave or slow cooker for a quick meal in the camper. We always planned one or two special meals out. If you're looking for character meals breakfast is usually cheaper.

Souveniers: I allowed the kids a set amount each day to spend absolutely as they pleased. That way we didn't have the "Can I have _______, please, please. I promise I won't ask for anything ever again, ever, for the rest of my life!" discussion every five minutes!

I'm sure there are tons more!

Jennifer

Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney on a budget?

Ft. Wilderness is a great place to camp, plus you can use the property transportation to get around if need be. They have a ton of activities, plus a little water area and beach. Last time we went we didn't even go in the parks! You can also find (as mentioned here) some small condos or good deals on suites.

Be there when the parks open, esp. Magic Kingdom. If you have a park hopper pass you can go in the morning, head to campsite, etc. for your own lunch/swimming. Then go back in the afternoon and plan for a long night with fireworks, etc. This will keep you out of the mid-day sun and back for lunch, which can get pricey.

Also, for souveniers (sp?) I would get each of the kids a pin lanyard and buy a box of "little" pins (prices vary, but it is cheaper than buying individual pins). The kids can then trade with cast members to get the character pins they REALLY want. I think this is one of my kids' favorite things to do when there, even for our five-year-old. I also buy them ONE pin each for each time we go (with the locking backs you can buy--it's worth it) that is special that they can't trade....kind of a memento for a trip. (They have really cute "happy birthday" ones that would be perfect for your kids.)

Have fun and stay cool!

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
928 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney on a budget?

Thanks for ideas.We won't be camping there.I like the condo idea.Any ideas on that subject-I subsribed to the news letters,already-thinks for that idea-The pack buy 4 and 3 days were probally going with.This will be our frist vacation in the states last vacation was in 07 to JAMAICA.Whicj i'm obssed with.So we were going back there but my mind got changed.Darn.Hey its for the wife and kids!I'll like it to..??-Do they have any reaggae shops there.lol

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
928 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney on a budget?

At the campground in the area do they have cabins to rent?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney on a budget?

Yes there are cabins. We've never stayed in one. The cabins have a full kitchen, a bedroom with a full sized bed and set of bunks and a Murphy bed (I think this pulls out from the wall, but I could be wrong.)

You can find more info here:

http://allears.net/acc/faq_fw.htm

Jennifer

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney on a budget?

yes, there are cabins at Fort Wilderness, but they are $$. The Mousesavers website and monthly newsletters will be a big help with deals. Another moneysaver, Disney will allow you to bring in a small cooler, we pack sandwiches, and small snacks. Drinks are heavy to carry so we don't do that. Drinks in Disney are expensive but also very large. We either buy one drink and split it, and/or ask for free ice water at counter-service restaurants. Another option is bring in 1 bottled water per person, drink it and refill at water fountains when needed. If you're going to drink their water, you may want to bring those individual drink mix packets to mix in; Disney ice water doesn't bother me, but the water out of the water fountains is kinda "yucky" tasting!

Shiner, Texas
Level Contributor
928 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney on a budget?

Sound like find a hotel or condo with a kitchen outside the resort...