We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

Hi there. i'll be travelling to Orlando in July and need advice as to whether i should buy my currency now or wait. Travel Money Services are offering 1.44 usd at the moment.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

How long is a piece of string lol?

No one knows, not even the experts where the pound will be then. That rate isn't a bad one- considering the city rate is 1.40 as we speak.

So, given I am going in April and June myself- I say that i would either buy some at that price now, or split my spending money into 2-4 lotds of 500 quid and but some today, some in a few weeks months etc. This way you hedge your bets. If it gets worse you don't completely lose out. If it gets better you don't completely lose out.

England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

I have been looking at the exchange rates for a few weeks and the pattern is that it keeps on droping we got our rates a couple of weeks ago and got 1.51 and now its gone down.Too like 1.41

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

If I could predict the market, the value of my investment would be 2.5x what it is. I can't - and neither can anyone else. Go with your "gut" is all you can do.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
192 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

I think the best advice read here, regarding currency, is to buy it in parts.

That way if the rate drops you've already bought some at the higher rate and if the rate rises you can still buy at the higher rate.

At the moment, we're paying off the holiday and will then buy currency monthly until we go away.

london
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

Thanks, for the advice. I too was thinking of buying in small amounts for the very same reason mentioned, if the rates drop, i'll still have exchanged at a better rate. I actually missed out on the 1.51 rate by a few hours...i was well and truelly gutted!

Nevertheless, i'll keep monitoring the rates and buy accordingly...

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

There was a post a few days ago from someone who works in financial services. They said that an article in their industry paper had suggested that the rate would rise to somewhere between 1.50 & 1.60 by the summer, I think.

Do a search on old posts to see if you can find this info - it might be worth waiting before you buy.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,927 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

That post was by sjd1974 posted on march 13th.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

if sjd really knew he would be too rich to be on here lol./

No one knows- not even the experts.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

That post you are referring to - if I remember correctly the poster changed his mind half way through the thread!

london
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going in July- Buy currency now or wait?

Thanks everyone, i've just read the post, and just like everyone else i'm sceptical of the rates. I will be, once again like everyone else, be buying in small quantities until i go. Bought first lot of US dollars at 1.44 today.....