We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

southern dunes

green bay wi
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
southern dunes

Has any one rented a home here? I heard it was quite far to the parks. Is it worth the drive to say here, we are going in December.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
476 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
188 reviews
from US$128.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
130 reviews
from US$118.99*
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: southern dunes

Think you'll get some reviews by using the search box and pluggin in the name.

Haines City is about a 30-40 minute drive to WDW and longer to get to Sea World and Universal.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: southern dunes

Packercity, you are correct that Southern Dunes is probably one of the furthest villa communities in the area from the Disney parks. However, because of that, it may be priced accordingly.

Southern Dunes is just off Highway 27. We stayed in a villa at Ridgewood Lakes which you will pass on the way to Southern Dunes. It generally took us about 20 to 30 minutes from villa to the car park of whichever Disney park we were going to and the traffic. Southern Dunes is probably another 10 to 15 minutes further away.

One advantage maybe, is that there is a large Walmart (are they anything but large?) right at the entrance to Southern Dunes which would be convenient.

The 27 is a decent road and we experienced no hold ups on it. However, when you turn on to I4, this is when you could be delayed. There was a lot of road works going on when we were there a month ago which slowed the traffic down a lot before we could turn off for WDW.

Enjoy your trip.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: southern dunes

What rubbish they must be blind or drive well below the speed limit. Southern Dunes is a max in December of 15mins to the gates of WDW, it is only 15 miles if you drive US27 then 192 at I think 64A.

Unlike the 192 in Kissimmee, the route is interstate and highway alll the way. The 192 and west US27 is a bottleneck with volume of traffic and roadworks. It takes 45 mins to drive 4 miles on the 192 to US 27.

In the hight of summer, we do Universal in 30 mins door to parking lot.

Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: southern dunes

SD is nice but too far out for some .The trouble at the moment is the I-4 is slow going -I was there last week and in part up to Disney was horrendous .Using 27 192 and getting to the parks in 15 is pushing it abit the home I saty in is almost at the junction of the two roads and is about 12 mins drive .

kissimmee, florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: southern dunes

I work for a property management company and i can say that Southern Dunes is one of the further divisions from disney. However, it does have a 4.5* golf course and it is only 8 miles from I-4 which in turn shortens your trip to Disney, as most people take u.s 27 - u.s 192. You can realistically get to disney from Southern Dunes in about 25 minutes. It is also nice to be secluded from the hustle and bustle that you'll find in the divisions closer to disney.Good luck hunting!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: southern dunes

Sorry, I should have said US 27 and I4 not the 192, that takes a good 45 minutes. If you drive to the speed limit, it is an easy 15 mins.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: southern dunes

my family rented a home on southern dunes in july and found the standard of villa very good.

yes it is a little further out than most but it is easy to link up to the I4 to reach the likes of universal and wdw.

the drive time to reach wdw is approx 35 mins.

it was also a benefit of having a fuel station and walmart at the entrance.

we have stayed at indian ridge which is much nearer wdw and also very nice, but i prefer southern dunes.

Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: southern dunes

Gordon are you saying that there are road works on the w 192/27 area because I have just come back from there today and there weren't any. The road works are at the 192/I-4 junctions and the traffic flows well on the 27 up to the 192 so am not 100% sure I got your point.As stated SD is a drive to the I-4 before you get anywhere else .The home i have just left is 8 miles from the disney exit / entrance on the 192 and took no more than 12 mins depending on the lights less If i used the Sherberth road short cut .

England
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: southern dunes

Your about 20 mins from Disney, It is a nice place to stay.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: southern dunes

Gordon, if Southern Dunes is 15 miles from WDW and it takes you a maximum of 15 minutes, then you are probably breaking the speed limit by having to drive an average of 60 mph all the way. Do the maths.

Believe me, that sort of short travel time was not possible in the summer with the traffic and road works.

Don't also forget that once you reach the WDW entrance, you have probably got another 5 or 10 minute drive before you reach the parking lot of whichever park you are going to. And the speed limit once you get on to the Disney roads is down to 40 mph (if I remember correctly).

However, Mapquest shows the distance from Southern Dunes to the Magic Kingdom toll booth as 25 miles. 25 miles in 15 minutes comes out at 100 mph. Just a little bit optimistic I think.