We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
med
Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

We want to spend about 3 or 4 days away from Disney or any other major theme park. Family of four, 2 boys 8 & 15. What are some other good activities our boys might like. We were thinking of going to Gatorland and maybe an airboat ride somewhere. I am looking for any "personal" opinions or "recommendations" of what a family might enjoy? There are a lot of websites and listings of different attractions/activities, but I am looking for someones personal experience.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

med, quite a few visitors head to either coast and spend time at the beach either the Atlantic or the Gulf is only from Orlando about 1-1 1/2 hours away.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

The Winter Park scenic boat tour is the perfect antidote to Disney, as is Merritt Island wildlife reserve, which you can combine with a beach visit at Cocoa Beach.

England
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

We enjoyed Gatorland, the lads were 5 and 7, then 7 and 9 when we went. It was really enjoyable visit the first time, the second time it was okay. I would definitely visit it the once though.

The 15 year old may like SkyVenture on International Drive. It is a sky diving simulator. We have not tried it, too busy doing the parks.

We enjoyed a visit to the Kennedy Space Centre, again worth doing the once.

florida
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

If you have a car, the Kennedy Space Center is a great way to spend a day. One of a kind place that you shouldn't miss.

In the Orlando area would suggest mini-golf (too many courses to mention), the Orlando Science museum, "Old Town" in Kissimmee on a weekend night for the car show (boys really enjoy that), the Kissimmee rodeo, our kids really like Wonder Works on I-drive but it seems to get mixed reviews, any of the small amusement centers with go carts and arcade rooms are a big hit with my son and we did a balloon ride which was great (although a bit expensive), they also have helicopter rides over the area. Haven't done one yet ourselves, but a behind the scenes tour of one of the parks has always appealed to us as well.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

When are you going? If it is in Jan-March, you might enjoy a trip up to Blue Springs State Park in Orange City to view the Manatees. Other times of the year you can go there and rent rafts to enjoy some tubing in the springs which is quite fun (my boys ages 3 and 11 really enjoyed that). Amazing exotics is pretty neat if your kids like animals. There they can view animals and then have a hands on encounter with either monkeys, tigers or wolves (I would only recommend monkeys for the kids). My 11 yo loved this. Airboat tours are a lot of fun too. We took one in Christmas, FL and it was a great time. My son and husband did the helicopter tour over Orlando and really enjoyed that as well.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

See the following: www.orlandoinfo.com

North East, England
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

Endevour.... you seem to have problems reading what people are actually asking...

"There are a lot of websites and listings of different attractions/activities, but I am looking for someones personal experience."

anyway... ive been on the airboat and i loved it... although the mozzies had a field day on my legs. seeing the aligators that upclose and totally wild. its worth doing!!!

8. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2005, 12:46
Devon, UK
Level Contributor
480 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

Med

Gatorland can easily be done in half a day. They put on some entertainment every half hour, such as feeding the aligators and a close up experience with snakes and scorpions. Otherwise it is a case of looking aligators in their various ponds and throwing hot dogs to them. Yes, they sell bags of hot dogs (meat only) to feed to the gators, though I am not sure this would be a natural diet for them. We went to Gatorland on our last day after leaving our accommodation and on the way to the airport.

If you go over to Kennedy Space Centre, this is an all day activity if you want it to be. The Imax cinemas are good. After the Space Centre, head down the coast a little way to Cocoa Beach for dinner at Florida's Seafood Bar and Grill for a shrimp or 12. (check out the reviews on TA).

After dinner, spend an hour (or more!) having a look round the Ron Jon Surf Shop. Even me as a male enjoyed this shopping experience! They are open 24 hours. Map here

http://www.resortmaps.com/FL/CocoaBeach1.html

All the above are from personal experience during our visit a month ago. Hope you enjoy your trip as well.

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Other Orlando/area Smaller Attractions/Activities?

Hey cjib - I think you did well to make the Space center into even half a day there is more to see in Gatorland. NASA = Really over rated heap of old hardware and metal junk. I know the Americans and Germans are proud of what they have achieved there but please spare us the hype.