We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

aberdeen
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

my holiday and park tickets are due to be paid at the beginning of may, but am going to pay it shortly to get it out of the way. what i am wondering is wether it is safe to use my debit card to pay them or am i better with a credit card?

the amount i wil be charged to use my mastercard is putting me off. The holiday itself is a package deal with thomsons and the credit card charge will amount to £80.

The park tickets i bought through virgin and the charge would be around £20 to pay by credit card, debit cards have no charges.

Is it worth the charges for peace of mind? What do you guys think?

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

For me it would be CC then clear my CC straight of to advoid charges your then protected.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

nemmis thanks but i dont mean interest. it is the charge for using your card and before you pay it is automatically added to your out standing balance, with thomsons it is a 2.5% charge of your balance outstanding!

clearing it off once paid is not a problem, but the charge still remains!!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

I suppose what i'm asking is do you think thomsons and virgin are likley to go bankrupt before july 2nd!! lol

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

They btter not lol Send them a cheque ,or ring your bank and see what protection you have on your DC .

But imo theres no way there going under .

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

The XL debacle seemed to indicate that were a holiday had been totally paid by CC these people got their money back relatively quickly.

Those who paid by check and debit card , and part payments it was them who had most of the problems.

You could look at it as an insurance policy.

I dont see a problem with park tickets because if you dont use them on the occasion you now plan you can use them another time. They are not things that want feeding every day.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

Hi Lee26

I would pay it with the creditcard then when finish paying with the cc translate money from debit to cc the amount You have drown from cc, it can´t cost a thing I then presume You are on internet banking.

As xr mention the people who used cc got the money back very fast after xl got busted and they who used

debit had problems getting the money back.

Another thing with Mastercard is that it might be a travel incurance with it so it actually pays of the 80 pounds if You wait paying of. Check it out-

Mutter

aberdeen
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

thanks every one . am still not sure, it is the thought of saving myself £100 that is stopping me, allthough i know the credit card is the safer option, i suppose it is a risk you have to take!

i wonder who it is that is adding the 2.5% charge to your balance for paying cc? it must be thomsons because you are using cc, as they are getting the charge in your payment, seems a bit unfair doesnt it? as if there holidays arent expensive enough!!

Quigley's Point...
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

Hi

You can pay as little as £1.00 on your creditcard and your whole purchase is protected ...under the cunsumer credit act 1974...

Annie

aberdeen
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

annie, you mean i could pay off £1 on credit card, then rest on debit card and still have the protection of my credit card? with none of the charges?

aberdeen
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paying holiday balance credit v debit cards

bump