We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speeding ticket - should we pay?

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Speeding ticket - should we pay?

Hi

We visited Florida 2 years ago and my husband got a speeding ticket while we were there, it was issued in Brevard County. It was $199 and when the trooper found out we were tourists he was a bit dismissive and advised that we could wait to pay when we got home via the internet. When we did get home money was a bit tight, and we didn't pay this fine. We never heard anything about it again. We are thinking of going back again next year and was wondering if anyone knows what would happen if we try to get a car in my husbands name again? The worry is we dont get allowed in full stop! We've thought about paying th fine, but the ticket is long lost, so we have no idea what to do.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated - and yes I know we should have paid when we got home but .... well you know how it is.....

Thanks.

Gray Line Orlando
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Stone VIPS
Sightseeing Tours, Film & TV Tours
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

Yes..pay it.

Is one allowed to rent a car with outstanding speeding tickets?

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

I have had one fine, which I did actually pay on return to the UK via the internet. However, my US colleagues found it all highly amusing and their advice to me was not to pay (then again they may have wanted to see me locked ... mmmm).

Anyways I'm such a goody goody (and it was only $33), that I paid. My offence by the way was reverse parking...(it was in NJ)

My guess is that it won't be a problem, at least not the car hire bit, but intrigued to see the responses from others.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,437 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

Might be best to 'fess up to Brevard County Sheriff Department. Your husband's details will no doubt still be on the system as a fine dodger so there is always the possibility you get to immigration and have a nasty welcome.......(hear them rubber gloves?!)

Illinois
Level Contributor
198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

I would pay and expect it to be at least doubled by now. I had one years ago that I lost and couldn't remember what county I was in and when they sent me a letter about it they doubled it!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

There could be a warrent out for his arrest. Not uncommon for unpaid tickets. If he got stopped, he could end up in jail with more fines. Contact them.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
536 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

There are many posts on here about this. I remember many heated debates on this subject. Here is one thread I found, I don't know how useful it is as I didn't read it all, but its a long one so there may be some useful info in there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k604801…

:o)

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

unpaid tickets can sometimes turn into bench warrants, meaning if your name gets run at any time by a police officer then you get taken to jail.

being allowed to rent a car should be the least of your worries

first check online for your record, I know orange county has myclerk which shows everything that is ever filed, not sure about the site for brevard

your $200 ticket could be over a thousand now with late fees, and it may of been turned over to collections which will add more fees

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

Your husband is probably 'in the system' and there's every possibility that the next time you try to get through immigration, there'll be a problem. The U.S. Authorities seem to be sticklers for this sort of thing - this is just an observation, not a criticism and goodness knows the U.K. could learn a thing or two on this subject! My husband was subjected to an intense interview whilst my sons and I had our luggage picked-over, just because he had a new, unused computer-readable/chipped passport - it took us three hours to get out of Sanford Airport.

I'm not sure how you'll go about dealing with your fine, since you've mislaid the paperwork but I think it would be worth clearing it up before you travel to Florida again. We've all heard horror stories about people who are put straight back on a plane to the U.K. because of minor irregularities!

Best of luck with this one.

Bristol
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

++++++++++Anyways I'm such a goody goody (and it was only $33), that I paid. My offence by the way was reverse parking...(it was in NJ)++++++++++++

So is it illegal to reverse park?? How strange!

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Speeding ticket - should we pay?

Not strange in Princeton - they have you for anything - well known for it. In reality I was done for not following signage (there was a little sign somewhere that said no reverse parking, or the US equivaent - head first only or something similar).