We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

we are seriously considering going back to Orlando at Xmas this year and would be very grateful if you could answer the following questions.

Date going 19th Dec to 26th Dec

What are daily temperatures approx?

Can you still sunbathe?

Can you still wear shorts and t-shirts?

Do you still get thunder storms?

Many thanks

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,736 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

No thunder storms like in summer at that time of year, or at least very rare. However, they do get more of the "all day" type rainy days at that time of year.

As for temperatures, sunbathing, clothing, etc., you really have to bring clothes for all seasons. Some days it's warm (like in the lower 20s Celcius), but other times it very chilly (like in the single digits Celcius). You never can tell what you may have.

The key is to bring clothes for all seasons, espeically things which can layer and shed easily. Days could be warm, but early mornings and after sunset (which occurs at 5:00 PM) will be very chilly at all times. On the colder days, you may even need hats and gloves.

Wigan
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

Thanks for the info - I am also curious to know if golf courses, shops, restaurants etc will be open up to Xmas Eve.

What suggestions do you have for things to do on Xmas Day?

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

We are going this christmas, the parks are open every day including christmas day but get very crowded and ive heard often shut because they reach maximum compacity.

I believe most restaurants in the local area will be closed but what I call tourist places are open (In hotels & parks). Some are open but must be pre-booked.

Beware though, it is a popular time of year and flights do get full, i know that virgin have alot of full flights already.

kent
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

i went for christmas 2008 8th Dec-27th Dec weather was changable mostly shorts and water parks but there was a couple of days that were chilly for a few hours, then next morning it would be hot again, quite bizzare. christmas day we went to Discovery Cove and it was a great choice as they only let a certain amount of guests in, so there were no crouds, but you need book that now, i would recomend christmas in orlando done it twice and sure i will do it again.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

Average daily temps available on weather.com

You can sunbathe if the sun is shining (most probably will be) but may not be hot. You will still need sunscreen as the sun is closer to the earth in our winter than in our summer.

In the middle of the day, probably. In the early am/late pm maybe/probaby not.

Not too many at all, but rain as described.

Your biggest problems will be crowd levels at parks. Plan your days and get there early. Make any Disney reservations 90 days out. Make reservations asap for xmas dinner or xmas eve as if open, availability will be tight. If you want to eat in, you can order a premade feast at Publix. Check them out a few weeks before you go online and order then or when you get there. Food stores may all be closed by 6pm xmas eve.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
128 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

Last year a few days before Christmas we were at Blizzard Beach for the day and it was great, really warm. Another night we had gloves on. A few years ago we were at MVMCP in winter coats and gloves, and were glad for them! You just don't know. Pack to be prepared!

IL
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

Hello nessymac,

To answer your question about ideas for X-mas day...We always book the candlight processional dinner package at Epcot. It's a beautiful choral concert with a celebrity narrator. We either book LeCellier in Canada for dinner or for a character dinner The Garden Grill. For more info on the candlelight processional check out www.allearsnet.com Don't miss the Osborne Spectacle of Lights at Hollywood Studio which is another idea for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Do make all your Disney dining reservations in advance!

Bettystown, Ireland
Level Contributor
823 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

hi neesymac - this will be our second xmas visit and i cant wait. for me it is without a doubt the most magical time of year visit.

when we were there in 2006 the weather was changeable. it poured down all day xmas day and one night we were waiting for fantasmic when the heavens opened and it had to be cancelled. but that was all the rain we got in 2 weeks.

looking back at photos we were in shorts and t shirts during the day with cut offs and fleeces at night. i definitely remember sunbathing at least twice. though if you are renting a villa/condo you will need pool heat. i would also avoid water parks unless it is a hot day!

we spent xmas day 2006 in epcot and had the candle light processional dinner package. this year we are consciously avoiding the parks on the 3 "big" days - xmas eve, xmas day and new years eve. we have booked into the gaylord palms for 1 night on xmas eve as their christmas programme is spectacular. they have a show called luminesence in the evening with dancing lights, the ICE exhibition, a hidden gnome hunt in the atrium, etc. one night im sure is not enough.

when we check out on xmas day we are going to go to the celebration hotel for dinner and to take in the nightly snowfall in market square and take a horse and carriage ride around the community to see the house decorations. this was one of the highlights of our last visit. i highly recommend it. we had orginally planned this on xmas eve but everyone i am reading about thats going has the same idea so im afraid it will be mobbed :)

must sees include the castle in the magic kingdom which is decorated beautifully, try to be there when they light it up in the evening, its amazing! also the osborne lights in HS is superb, and as already mentioned the candlelight processional in epcot is lovely (not everyone's cup of tea though, i loved it but the rest of the group with me HATED it!)

you will have a fantastic time!!

9. Re: Orlando at Xmas - Information needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2009, 06:40