We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hair straighteners!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
919 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hair straighteners!

On my last two visits i have taken my ghd's and frankly they are near useless in the states on my hair :(.

Just from experience does anyody know if its worth me buying some cheapy U.S ones ? or making do with my half hearted ghd's??

scotland UK
Level Contributor
540 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hair straighteners!

I have the same problem with my GHD's. My hair is like a ball of frizz when I am in Florida, I did notice that Walmart sell cheap sets but I didn't bother last time. This time is different, I have a wedding to go to in Orlando so if anyone has tried them I would be interested to know how you got on.

Letterkenny...
Level Contributor
157 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hair straighteners!

If you have bought your GHDs in the last 6 - 8 months then they should be able to be used in USA as they now come with Dual Voltage. I bought some straightners in Orlando before and they were excellent - first set was a cheap set in Walmart which were ok considering only 20 dollars - the second set were dual voltage bought from a stall in Florida Mall for about 80 dollars and these were just like GHDs - just needed an adaptor plug and away you go.

I bought new GHDs for my daughter for Christmas and she will be able to take these new version with her to use as well as me taking my US ones - no more arguements getting ready any more!!!

Frizz free zone!

Yipee

Trish

;o)

uk
Level Contributor
496 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hair straighteners!

same problem. i think once your a ghd girl though all other strightners just never will measure up. i've got straightners over there and the will!!never get your hair as straight as what your used to so i'm guessing you'd be like me and not be happy with it anyway! particually with the extra humidity over there. but then thats why we spend £100 ON GHDS and don't just spend a tenner at boots here!!

i hope my ones work this time, i think they are about 9 months old so prob won't, but we can keep tryiing!

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hair straighteners!

How annoying is it!! I walk around with fizzy hair and hate it. I really don't fancy buying a new pair when mine work perfectly well in the UK.

Darn the US Voltage output!!

newcastle/durham
Level Contributor
469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hair straighteners!

Try and talk one of your friends into buying newer GHDs with dual voltage, or make a new friend who already has some! My boyfriend's sister's work just fine with an adapter as they're newer than mine, and she doesnt mind using mine for a few weeks while we're away as they work just as well as the new ones while in the UK.

Even so, I still find that my hair ends up a mess, so I just accept it and stick it in a bun to keep it off my neck, and pin back my fringe. I always look a real treat in Florida!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hair straighteners!

GHD Mark4s will work, mine do.

Before I got them I used some $15 cheapies I got at Walmart and they were OK. Nothing is as good as a GHD lol.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hair straighteners!

I came back from Orlando yesterday - had a great time :)

I was warned by my friend who went out in 07 my GHD's would not heat up properly, still I took them and thought I'd be able to cope - wrong! They didnt even switch on! Went into panic mode - how could I spend my 2 weeks out here looking like a frizz bomb. Went to Walgreens and brough some Revlon straightners which had 25 different heat settings. These proved to be a waste of time and money, they heated up but were just rubbish. Will deffo buy a pair of them new ones for next time I travel to America.

Belfast, n i
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hair straighteners!

i had this problem in vegas in 2005. The straighters worked in LA but wouldnt work in vegas. Last year i took mark 5 ghds.. (i think they are mark 5, just the newest kina curved ones) and they worked perfectly in vegas. I have had these for 18months now!!!

Hoping they wil be fine in florida.

Ireland
Level Contributor
715 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hair straighteners!

yeah sure just buy a cheep one out there it will do when you go back again be very aware i nearly got stung out there big time, in the prime outlets on top of the idrive i went to but a hair straightners 100 per cent ceramic it looked and done my hair really good it was 150 dollers but i said id have a think about it just as well as i went into one of the stores called ' as seen on tv and GUESS WHAT the very same straightner in there for 69.99 dollers it was 100 percent the same one from colour to the packaging, baring in mind this has universal voltage so can be used any where and they were going to show me it working.

The first women i went to just to let you know works on a stall so ladies be aware of the stalls in the outlets and malls, as you could find the same thing for half the price in a shop very close by.

Tinkerbell0301

Wales
Level Contributor
919 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hair straighteners!

Thanks for the warning tinkerbell

Last time i was in orlando my GHD's would only switch on for about 5 mins and were rubbish!

I was in the bathroom at Hard rock and started talking to a lovely American lady and i was so envious of her straight hair LOL! mine was massive and frizzy!!

Well i think ill take mine again and hope for a miracle! If not I might invest in some good American ones, I dont feel good unless my hair looks nice in the evenings.