We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sayings.....

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Topic
Sayings.....

I have just been chattin to my friend who has just said that when she went to America she had a few difficulties with the difference in language, as in certain things we say here in England meaning differnt things in America. i dont really want to offend anyone out there so a rough guide to certain words would b much appericated. and other times when the english means something differnt in america eg: Pants in english= underwear

Pants in America= trousers

Thanks

J x

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
9,014 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sayings.....

Elasticated pants = trouble

Ardrossan
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sayings.....

Fanny in america means your bum.

Horsham
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sayings.....

the classic one is :

Chips in America means crisps, so dont ask for burger and chips,

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sayings.....

Biscuits is a funny one, our biscuits are what Americans call cookies, and American biscuits are those lovely little soft rolls, that you have with dinners. I like Biscuits :) both kinds!

New Forest
Level Contributor
196 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sayings.....

What are grits?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sayings.....

Ive always wondered what grits are, they never look very appetising, and because of that ive always been to scared to try them!!

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sayings.....

Grits, are similar to our Porridge Oats, only about a thousand times less tasteful! lol!! The one's i had in Cracker Barrel looked very similar to a bowl full of wall paper paste, so you can imagine they were met with a certain amount of disquiet!

However, all of our taste buds vary greatly, so all i will say is give them a try, you might just like them!

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,872 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sayings.....

Say cigarette, not fag.

Asking for the loo might get you a puzzled look. Restroom or bathroom would be better than loo or toilet.

New Forest
Level Contributor
196 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sayings.....

Hmmm, I might add grits to my "to do" list next year!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sayings.....

I love porridge, but like another poster said, grits look a bit like wallpaper paste to me, not very appetising at all. Are they made with water as opposed to milk?