We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

This was our first trip to the States, with my mum,dad and sister,27.

8th May - flew from Birmingham UK on First choice, excellent flight with good selection of movies, slumdog millionnaire and marley and me, food was good. Arrived in USA at 3.15pm, weather was hot, picked up the car from Alamo at Sandford Airport and headed for Lake Buena Vista and the Staybridge Suites. Had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite, complete with kitchen, and 3 TV's.

9th May - first full day - good selection of buffet breakfast, cereals, bagels,muffins and waffle station in additional to hot breakfast. Caught hotel shuttle transportation to Magic Kingdom for our first view of Cinderella's castle - magical.

Caught the first parage and went straight onto pirates of the carribean, then big thunder mountain. Had lovely pineapple juice whips! Then we watched the dream come true parade before going on the mad tea cups, where the white rabbit joined the ride. Then we tried carousel of progress and buzz light years space rangers spin.

10th May - Animal Kingdom, first we went to the festival of the lion king show, next the safaris and the exploration trail. Watched the jungle jammin parade and then river rapids where we got soaked. At 4.55pm sister and Dad walked straight onto expedition everest - they looked terrified. Went to Burger King and drinks were huge.

11th May - Cocoa beach for the launch of the Space Shuttle Atlantis. We did some sunbathing and then paid a few dollars extra to go onto the extension part of the pier to watch the launch, along with the resident pelican. On schedule we saw the shuttle launch and heard the rumbling as the shuttle climbed into the atmosphere.

12th May - Discovery Cove, and the dolphin swim with CJ the dolphin. We spent our day in the tropical river, ray lagoon and coral reef. The weather took a turn for the worse with a bad thunderstorm which lasted about 2 hours, so we had to leave early. Went to Sizzler restaurant tonight.

13th May - morning was a chill out day around the pool followed by a trip to Downtown Disney. Had burgers at House of Blues

14th May - Returned to Magic Kingdom and did splash mountain, haunted mansion, philharmgic, peter pans glight, big thunder mountain, teacups. It started to rain again so we did enchanted tiki rooms and pirates again.

15th May - Hollywood studios, rides we did, Beauty and the Beast, Tower of Terror, Star Tours x2, studio backlot tour, lights and motor show, indiana jones, great movie ride and we also watched the Block Party Bash parade - great.

16th May - Typhoon Lagoon, we did the wave pool, mayday falls, keelhaul falls, family raft ride, storm slides, crush n gusher. We also spent most the day going around the lazy rivers on our rubber ring. I also twice went snorkeling in the shark reef. Went to Black Angus Steakhouse this evening.

17th May - EPCOT today and first ride was the green team on Mission Space, next we did the nemo ride and spent time in the aquarium. We also saw Turtle Talk with Crush which was amazin how Crush spoke to the children in the audience. Next we had our fast pass for Test Track which was an amazing ride. Will then had a 50 minute wait for Soarin and then went on the land ride going through the big greenhouse. We then went on Honey I shrunk the kids and when we cae out it was raining again. In the evening we went to Hollywood to see Fantasmic but due to the lightening and torrential rain the show was postponed.

18th May - cloudy and raining again, but we went to Seaworld and saw the 11.30 Believe Shamu show. We also saw Manta in action and then went on Wild Artic via the helicopter route. Next was penguin encounter and manatee rescue, and dolphin cove and ray lagoon. In the evening we went again to Black Angus and then headed to Magic for spectromagic and wishes fireworks. We arrived early so had time to do the jungle cruise, and the male captain was hilarious!! We watched the parade by the castle and saw Tink fly down!

19th May - It was really raining today so we went to Disney Quest and did alien encounter, pinball slam, aladdins magic carpet and virtual jungle cruise as well as the games and pinball machines. We got our souvenirs from the World of Disney and ate at the Orlando Steak and Ale House.

20th May - Cloudy again but returned to Animal Kingdom. First was its tough being a bug, then Dinosaur Ride. Got stung by a bee, then we went to Lion King again. It was poncho time again as there was another thunderstorm, so we sheltered in pizzafari. After the rain eased we headed for the safari butmost of the rides had closed due to the weather. Jungle parade was also cancelled. In the evening we tried to see Fantasmic again but it was still raining - the 9.00 show was cancelled but we did manage to catch the 10.30 show.

21st May - REturned back to seaworld to see Shamu again and also Blue Horizons show. Went in the new Manta aquarium. Raining again, so we had a drive down International Drive.

22nd May - Home today- after breakfast headed down to the welcome to Disney signs to have pictures taken. Pouring with rain again as we headed to the airport for our 5.15pm flight back to the UK.

Fantastic holiday - just freak weather

Wales
Level Contributor
919 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

Sounds like you had a brill time inspite of the weather! And managed to get a lot done :)

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

Great TR! Keep in mind, in Disney, it is called "liquid sunshine". Just more of the Disney magic!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

Well done! Sounds as though you had a fab time and made the most of it. You packed loads in-its a bit of a comedown ,home again after a high like that.

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

Wow! You did so much great stuff! Glad to hear it was fantastic, inspite of the rain. Are you planning your next Orlando holiday yet?

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

wow, raindrops keeps falling to my head

I thought You got the best of it.

I had to giggle when You said the sodas was huge when I remember we asked for the smallest one and they where like the biggest ones we get here.

Mutter

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

We were there at the Hollywood Studios to see Fantasmic! for the 9pm show on the 20 May too. We were told the 10.30pm probably wouldn't be going ahead either so went back to the resort. I am glad you got to see it. We tried 3 times that week. A good excuse to go back I guess (one of these years.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
643 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

Good review ClaireS23, glad to hear u had a gr8 holiday n never let the rain put a dampner on things. Wendy

Nottingham
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

Hi Claire

Sounds great, I am trying to organise our first holiday to florida for a similar time next year, how busy was it generally in and out of the parks?

Cheers

Jay

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

Did you say you got stung by a bee....or is there something I've missed at Animal Kingdom.

You seem to have the right attitude with regards to the weather. There have been lots of people moaning about the weather recently, but it looks like you just got on with it and had a fantastic holiday as a result.

Fab report.

tcc
crawley, west sussex
Level Contributor
551 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers Trip Report 8-22 May 2009 - rain was wet, wet,

I assume she is talking about the "It's tough to be a bug" show where the bee appears to "sting" you in the back!

Either that or she actually got stung by a bee!