We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR June 2-9 - Disney/Busch Gardens and more with a toddler

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver CO
7 posts
Save Topic
TR June 2-9 - Disney/Busch Gardens and more with a toddler

I have been a longtime lurker here on TA, decided to post a TR in case anything we did is of any use to anyone else in planning their trip. I will just post as topics rather than day by day. This is my first ever post so apologies if I haven't got the format right etc.

Background:

Trip was myself, DH, and DD (2 years old). This trip was originally planned for early May, but due to DH's work commitments had to be changed, and early June was the only time we could go (due to other DH work commitments) before baby #2 arrives in October. So not the ideal time to go in terms of heat and crowds, but still better than not going at all!!

Flights:

Flew United both ways and upgraded each time to the extra leg room seats, which was well worth it for the 4 hour (approx) flight and to accommodate all the stuff we needed to feed and amuse a toddler for the flight.

Accommodation:

We stayed at the World Quest resort, which is only a few miles from Disney. We hired a car, so not being on site at Disney was not a problem. After lots of research (mainly here on TA) we decided to stay off site, mainly because DD goes to bed around 7pm each day, and we like to have a separate room for her so she can sleep and we can watch TV or chat etc after she is in bed. The prices for Disney places with separate rooms were just too expensive for us. World Quest was around $800 for the week.

I would highly recommend World Quest, we had a 2 bedroom room which was huge, had a full kitchen, dining and living area, deck, and 2 bathrooms. The pool was huge and we used it every day.

There are 4 options for maid service, ranging from full clean to none at all. We went for a mid range option which was change towels and make beds every day, which was an extra $15 a day. Not sure if that is worth $15 a day, but I like my clean towels!! (Our room did have a washer and dryer so we could have washed them ourselves if we wanted). One thing I wasn't sure of was whether to tip the maid given we were paying $15 a day, I assumed we still should and so each day left a tip, but around half the days it wasn't taken.

Breakfast was included every day, just a basic breakfast (toast, bagels, cereal, coffee) but more than sufficient for us.

Theme parks:

As we only had 6 full days in Orlando, we spent a lot of time deciding what to visit. In the end we decided to spend 5 days at the parks and have one "free" day. Having being to Disneyland in California 3 times, we decided to spend only 2 days at Disney, so purchased a 2 day park hopper with water park add ons. In the end we visited Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom (briefly, just so DD could go on some of her favourites eg Winnie the Pooh) and spent one day and another half day at Typhoon Lagoon. We all absolutely loved Typhoon Lagoon, had a nice time at the other Disney parks but the heat and the crowds really got to us. We were fully expecting it to be hot and crowded, but still wore us out.

We also visited Busch Gardens which we all loved, had a great mix of extreme rides for DH and animal attractions for DD who is an animal nut. We spent a morning at Sea World which was fun but again the heat and crowds got to us and we decided to spend the rest of that day at Typhoon Lagoon which was lovely.

On our "free" day we went to the Kennedy Space Center in the morning, which was OK, DH really wanted to see it so I am glad we went, but DD got bored quickly so I don't think I would recommend it for toddlers. That afternoon we spent the afternoon by the pool at our resort.

Food:

Really nothing of interest to report on here, with DD our window for meal times tends to be limited and we like to get in and out of places quickly!! So lunches were generally counter service, dinner at places like Olive Garden etc or a few days we put DD to bed and DH would just get us take out. One thing is that the cost of meals does add up, eg counter service would cost us around $30 each time, again we could have elected to cook in our room for dinners but I figured I was on holiday!

Overall we had a great time but I think we may have enjoyed the parks a bit more if we had been able to go in May as originally planned. Having said that though, our favourite park was Typhoon Lagoon so I am glad we had a chance to go there.

Any questions please feel free to ask, and thanks for reading!

pa
Level Contributor
53,812 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: TR June 2-9 - Disney/Busch Gardens and more with a toddler

Welcome Home and Welcome to the Forum

Great TR, thanks for sharing your Holiday with us and for the helpful Tips about traveling with a Toddler.

Hopefully you can visit again after #2 arrives ( congratulations by the way ) and you can go when it isn't so darn Hot, that does make a difference, IMO

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR June 2-9 - Disney/Busch Gardens and more with a toddler

Well You start with a TR at the forum which is more then Welcome and fun way to start it.

And I think it was great that You write about the toddler situastion, there are a lots of people asking about toddlers and parks.

Very good info

Mutter

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR June 2-9 - Disney/Busch Gardens and more with a toddler

No format here, just write and go. Great info. Thanks for sharing. Just had someone ask the other day what's the best water park and have heard many say TL is the one to go to.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR June 2-9 - Disney/Busch Gardens and more with a toddler

Thanks for the info. We will also be going with a toddler as well as her siblings (2, 4, and 7).

We had looked into staying at World Quest Resort in a 3 bedroom condo. Then Disney offered the Free Dinning for our time so we took that. But I am still unsure whether it pays off when you consider the room size we are trading for.

TL looked like the nicest park, all the white at BB seems like it would get old after awhile (plus we see snow 6+ months every year I don't want to see it on a vacation to Florida).

Thanks again for the trip report!

5. Re: TR June 2-9 - Disney/Busch Gardens and more with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2009, 06:19