We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I could use some expert opinions,please

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I could use some expert opinions,please

I have been reading TA Orlando for a couple of days now,since my husband planted the bug in my ear about going to WDW. (See, I have even picked up a few terms!lol) Anyway,he has suggested going in August this year, but after reading here and on the Disney web site, I think that we should wait until next year. The amount of planning that I will(yes,I)will have to do is daunting to say the least. I want our trip to be fun, not frustrating,so I would like to plan well. Also, next year would give us more time to save spending money. What do y'all think? Thanks for any input.

pa
Level Contributor
54,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

If you can go after August 16th, you can take advantage of the Free Dining Offer, very good deal and you never know when Disney will stop making that Offer. If the Budget allows for this year, I say go for it. I know too many people that kept saying 'next year' and it never happened.

I have put together Disney Holidays in about two weeks, it was fast and easy, sometimes it's better to be under pressure, you tend to think less which gives you lots of Fun in the end :)

Need more help ? have a look at everything that you could be enjoying in just a few short months

www.wdwinfo.com

http://allears.net

canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

I am far from an expert (we went for one week last summer and are heading back this year for two weeks), but I booked and planned out our trip in two weeks (literally). We had a ball. Our first day we relaxed and went out to supper, then four days of Disney (most awesome), drove to Cocoa Beach for one day (also great), one day at Sea World and also took in a show at Medevial Times. We had a blast (I should also mention we have two small children and it all worked out well). My only complaint was that it wasn't long enough, so we are going for 14 days this time! Hope this helps.

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

Thanks for the links,partypa. I did see the free dining a couple of days ago,and thought about going around Labor Day,but then my son would have to miss 2 or 3 days of school. I guess you are right about doing things quickly and not having to overthink. I tend to get overwhelmed easily when there are too many options to choose from. I think that comes from not wanting to make a mistake. Hmmm... maybe I need a shrink!!!! Ha Ha Ha.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

I can't comment on budget, but Orlando is like most American cities in that the hotel and other accommodation offerings are mostly fairly predictable and reasonably easy to sort out. I recall a London photographer commenting on how he liked traveling in the US. He could land at an airport anywhere and find a rental car and a place to stay, no fuss.

The theme parks are not quite so complicated as figuring out a major city (i.e. a Naturally-Occurring Theme Park like San Francisco, Chicago, London, Tokyo). In these cases, it's worth doing a LOT of pre-trip exploration so you can perhaps appreciate that you're in a spot where the Great Fire wreaked havoc, or that there's a Frank Lloyd Wright building around the corner (Tokyo's was, regrettably, moved out of town. London and SF are luckier).

TA does have the experts to figure out how to minimize waiting in lines, maximize decent eating, etc., but you can blunder around and still encounter quite a lot, and not get cheated.

Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

Planning? Make hotel reservations, order WDW tickets, drive to FL, enjoy. TA people can give you any other info you have questions about in just a few hours.

pa
Level Contributor
54,196 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

sweetlady, please don't call a Shrink, that will cut into the Holiday Budget too much and besides, you have all of us here on the Orlando Forum, we're Free :)

Keep us Posted

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

Go for it. The only big thing you need to plan out is getting the dining ressies asap, especially during free dining periods as it can be difficult to secure ressies. Everything else, you can figure out between now and then easily. As previously stated, you can overthink a WDW trip. As I always say, you WILL NOT see and do everything there is to do on your first trip, nor your 31st trip. So, get over it, relax, and enjoy what you do manage to work in and just expect most of it to still be there when you return. In all likelyhood, if you go this August, you will save hard to get to go back next August. LOL. Have Fun!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

Hi, we are leaving Friday for a week's stay. We have been before but not since 2001 and things have gotten a bit more complicated. We took advantage of the Buy 4 nights, Get 3 free offer from the early part of this year (great deal!) On the advice of friends we also did the Disney Dining Plan. If you do this, you do need to spend time deciding on a list of restaurants, and then having a back-up plan. When they say start calling 90 days out, START calling if you want to go to the popular ones( I wish I knew) Anyway, you will also need to spend time on the phone once you do decide as the agents search for availability. You need to be flexible. It is not impossible, it is time-consuming.

SW FL
Level Contributor
83 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

My feelings are that to much planning sets you up for a let down. I just got my ressies and decide on which park which day and the rest we will see what we can do. There are some rides my kids don't want to miss but to me if we don't get it all done, there is always next time. I say go and have a good time.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I could use some expert opinions,please

There are some great resources available that can help you with all of this:

The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World is a book with a lot of very good information and a great companion website. The book contains standardized touring plans.

www.buildabettermousetrip.com is a travel agency that focuses on Disney vacations and they'll help with all of the steps of planning - deciding which park on which day, making dining reservations, providing custom touring plans, etc.

www.tourguidemike.com is a great online service. You do pay a subscription fee (I think it is around $24)but the information is very good and helps you with all of the steps of planning - best days information, info about restaurants, touring plans, etc.

Doing some advance planning goes a long ways toward minimizing time spent in line.