We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going over Labor Day

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Going over Labor Day

We are planning our first trip to WDW over Labor Day this year.(I got over my indecision!!) We are getting the free dining deal(and from what I have read,quite the deal) I do have some questions,though. Are the parkhopper tickets worth the money and can we get parkhopper tickets at the park or do we need to purchase them with our regular park tickets? Are they a must have? What is the weather typically like in early September? How about crowds? Sorry about so many questions,just want to be aware of what to expect. Thanks for all of the help from all of you gracious people on the Orlando forum.

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
477 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
188 reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
131 reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
ontario
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going over Labor Day

Last year we went the last week of August and returned home the sunday of labour day weekend. The crowd levels then were busy but not horrendous. We went in May and they were less. I think the week you want to go should be good this year as the kids should be back in school then. I know many school boards in Canada have the children going back the week before labour day this year. In my opinion I would never go to disney without the park hopper option. It allows you to go where you want any time. As well you can have a day in one park and have dinner in another for example. We always add the water park and more option as well as we have preteens and it allows them disney quest etc. This is handy on rainy days. I think you will have to purchase them ahead of time. I know I tried to make some changes to our package when I got there and I was refused. Call disney directly. The weather can be unpredictable. My friends went the week before us and had nothing but terrible rain ,and we had only two really bad storms. Remember it is still hurricane season then. I think thats why they offer this package when they do. You are right this is an incredible deal.

pa
Level Contributor
54,486 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going over Labor Day

Well Done on getting the Free Dining, it is quite nice to eat all that yummy food for free :)

I don't recomend the Hopper Option for a first visit, you can add it after you arrive if you find you want it but you will be able able to fill each day at one Park quite well

The can be Storms that blow through but for the most part, it will be Hot and Humid with some afternoon rain ( an hour or two maybe ) The Rain has never stopped us from having Fun ( we go in September every year )

I would have a look at the Park Hours

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours.htm

and start planning which Parks on what days you'd like to go to. Take advantage of the Extra Magic Evening hours, it will be less crowded in the Parks and alot cooler

I would call soon or go on-line and make a few Dining reservations, the Popular Character Meals do book up fast

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining.htm

Where will you be staying ?

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going over Labor Day

I have already started looking at the restaurants,and they really look great!! We are staying at the Disney All Star Music resort. My husband thought that having the park hoppers would be a good thing, so that we wouldn't HAVE to be in the park we would be eating in on that particular day.Or,if, for some reason we were not enjoying one park as much as we thought. I dunno....

ontario
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going over Labor Day

Partypa is the expert and would know better than me but I was under the impression that in order to change your tickets when you are on the dining package that you would need to do that at least 3 days ahead of your arrival. I know I asked about upgrading our meal package and I was told that.

When it comes to my opinion on the park hopper option remember I am coming with children. I went with my son's choir on one trip and they did not have the park hopper option and I found this very limiting but I am used to having it.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going over Labor Day

You can add the park hopper to your ticket at any point in your trip. It's a fixed fee ($50 + tax) that is the same for a one day as a ten day pass. I'm a big fan of the hopper for our family. We like the variety it gives to our day and, also, we never spend an entire day in the parks. We like to go to one in the morning and another in the evening with a nice break mid-day.

We've been three times over Labor Day, once before Free Dining entered the picture and twice since. It's definitely more crowded than it used to be but still not bad when compared to other times of the year. The restaurants will probably be busier than the attractions.

The weather is going to be hot!

Jennifer

pa
Level Contributor
54,486 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going over Labor Day

Sorry if anything I said earlier was misunderstood

You Can add the Park Hopper Option at any time before of after your arrival

There was Post earlier about changing a Reservation and or adding Options such as the Dining Plan to a Room ONly Reservation. You Can Not add the Dining Plan to a Room Only Reservation. You would have to change/modify your room only reservation to a Package reservation that includes at least a 1 day ticket in order to take advantage of having/adding the Dining Plan. You would have to Modify your Room Only Reservation at least 5 days prior to arrival

sweetlady, I didn't mean to say you 'shouldn't' get the hopper, I have just found for a first trip you 'might' not need it and could add it later if you found you wanted it :)

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going over Labor Day

Partypa, I understood what you meant, and that was along the lines of what I was thinking, that since it was our first time, that we could spend one day in each park and just plan where we would eat after we decided which day to do which park. On the other hand, I like the idea of having the freedom to change my mind.(what's left of it LOL) I guess hubby likes it because he is a lot less of a planner than I am and likes to do things on a whim. Drives me bonkers!!!! Thanks to all of you for the input, I think we will go ahead and get the hoppers. And I am really happy to see that I can make eating reservations on line.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Going over Labor Day

We didn't have hoppers for our trip last Labor Day because we thought we'd only have three days and planned on skipping Animal Kingdom. It went fine, just took a bit more planning than we usually do to make sure we got all of the Extra Magic Hours days right as well as the dining reservations.

Jennifer

9. Re: Going over Labor Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2009, 08:19