We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Desoto Beach

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sudbury
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Fort Desoto Beach

Has anyone been. Apparently it's rated #1 in America. DOes anyone know how far it is from Orlando?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Desoto Beach

Lots of folks love this beach. Takes about 2 hours from Orlando. Worth a trip.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
527 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Desoto Beach

Its on my 'to do list this year'. It looks amazing!!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Desoto Beach

It is about 2 hours if you are not driving during rush hour. North Beach is the nicer of the beaches on the island. You can watch windsurfers from one of the other beaches.

There is also a ferry that takes you to Egmont Key. It leaves either once or twice a day depending on the season. I still want to do that.

If you need more info, just google Ft DeSoto Park.

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Desoto Beach

Nicki-lou,

Fort DeSoto is awesome. It is my favorite Florida beach.

Drive time from 192 and I-4 is under two hours. If you leave WDW at 8:00 AM or later you will slide through Tampa after the worst of the traffic.

For an added treat, take the long way home and go south on 275 over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. It is an exquisite bridge with gorgeous views. Pick up I-75 near Bradenton and avoid all the traffic on the way home. The detour will add half an hour compared to returning through Tampa when there is no traffic, but will be faster than returning through Tampa in rush hour.

CTR

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Desoto Beach

We were just there a couple of weeks ago. We went on a Sunday and left Orlando at about 730AM and arrived at Ft. DeSoto beach (North Beach) at 9:15. You can rent a couple of chairs with a big beach umbrella for $16 for the day.

Florida
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Desoto Beach

We go to Ft Desoto about once a week. It is great!! From Orlando it is about 2 hours or a little less depending on traffic. Like PP have mentioned north beach is the best, and if you do not like to be close to ppl go to the far end of NB. There is a snack stand but we always bring a cooler with sandwiches, drinks and snacks. (If you do not want to make sandwiches there is a Subway right before Ft Desoto in Terra Verda. Or right when you get off the exit there is a Publix that you could get lunch meat/sandwiches at) If you did want to go to Egmont Key there is a ferry. Egmont has ruins that are pretty cool if you like that type of thing.Have a great time and HTH.

Huron, OH
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Desoto Beach

We camped here 2 years ago, and are returning this Jan., 2010. When we were there before, we did not fine a seafood market or a vegetable (fruit) stand that was close. Any suggestions? Thanks

8. Re: Fort Desoto Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 05:16