We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel insurance - severe weather/hurricane

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh, scotland
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
travel insurance - severe weather/hurricane

We are travelling to florida on 29th aug for two weeks which I now realise is the peak time for hurricane (flying into orlando and out of miami). Does anyone else from the UK know of any travel insurance policies that cover disruption to holidays/travel due to severe weather like hurricane

thanks in advance

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel insurance - severe weather/hurricane

Hi

I think you may find that severe weather falls under the category of 'Acts of God' therefore no insurance company will pay-but not really sure on this one!

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel insurance - severe weather/hurricane

Just go with the flow ............ we were there when a hurricane threatened last August, and it didn't interfere with anything that we wanted to do we were on the gulf coast. Ok if things are going to get serious and attractions are closed, just follow the authorities instructions to either stay in your home/hotel or evacuate to a safer area. As the other posts have said, hurricanes and tropical weather patterns are acts of god, so no one can do anything about it. If you are really worried about hurricanes etc, then perhaps you should change your plans and travel between November and April. Personally it wouldn't bother me in the slightest - I am heading out on 29 July for 3 weeks and if a hurricane threatens, then we just try to get through it the best we can.

I have been travelling to Florida for the past 14 years and on only 2 occasions did a hurricane even threaten ....... lets face it you could go to Turkey and there could be an earthquake ......... go and enjoy Florida and stop worrying about the weather - yes you will have thunder storms, but you will be glad of them to cool the air down ... and it will be dry within 30 mins............. Enjoy you will have a ball!

Rosiebabe

London
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel insurance - severe weather/hurricane

Hi,

As someone else said I dont believe you will find an insurance policy that covers natural disaster. I have been caught twice over the past 9 years of going to Florida. We always travel end of Aug beginning of Sept. One year we got caught out there and had to stay in our room for 24hrs, was no problem at all though. 2nd time we were due to fly from Gatwick and was unable as Orlando airport was shut all weekend. Had to re-arrange flight for 13 days later. My work wasnt very happy but cant be helped. Now i find myself every year checking the national hurricain centre website on the run up to the holiday as I dont want it to happen again, dont are when I am out there just dont want my flight cancelled.

4. Re: travel insurance - severe weather/hurricane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 05:19