We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing our plans is it worth it?

ireland
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
changing our plans is it worth it?

We are 2 adults and 2 teenage boys going aug 22- sept 12.

We have 3 weeks booked for the Homewood suites on I-Drive. We also have 10 day MYW passes with water parks and hopping, a 5 park flexi ticket and a trip to nasa. we had also booked one night in AKL and 1 night in Hard Rock hotel as this worked out cheaper than buying express passes.

Now we considering a Pop Century with free dining, and an 8 day pass with water parks and hoping and 2 weeks at Homewood still with 1 night at Hard Rock.

We've never stayed onsite apart from 1 night before so we're asking what you think of this plan? We think the free dining is the clincher, is it really saving money we could spend elsewhere?

ireland
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

hi shell

we went last nov and spent 5 days on site at the CBR and 9 days at the homewood and would highly recommend staying on site we really enjoyed it so i would say if you can do it

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

The FREE dining is a great saving

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

You better call before you get too involved with your plans.

I thought someone had said the free dining at Pop Century was all booked as they only alot a set number of rooms for the free dining.

Call and see if you can get it. If you can I would book right away. But I would also have a backup plan (upgrade to a moderate hotel).

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

Depends if you all want to be together in one Disney room they are very cosy to say the least ,changing in front of your teenage sons might be a bit awakward and you pretty much have to all go to bed at the same time as the beds are very close together

I would say a one or two night stay would be okay but with teens i wouldnt recomend any longer ,mind you if you can afford two rooms well thats a different ball game.

ireland
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

Postmanmac where did you stay onsite?

Brazil, thats my thinking that anything free has to be a bonus.

Casey, we enquired at Small World Vacations about price and they put a provisional hold with disney on prefered room until thursday so we have to make up our minds by then.

Nemmis, i'm not sure who it'd scare more me or the boys getting changed in front of each other lol. no 2 rooms wouldn't be an option as i couldn't justify spending the difference when thats what we've got booked at Homewood.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

We faced this situation as well. We wanted a condo for comfort and relaxation on our Disney vacation, but when the free dining was offered we changed our mind. We knew we wanted to do one character dining and that would put our condo stay up to the same price as staying onsite with free dining. It really didn't make any sense for us to stay at a condo.

I think one week would be enough and then in a condo for 2 weeks. 3 weeks would be too long IMO.

As for staying in hotel room with your kids, don't worry about it. When I was a kid we took a 2 week vacation every year and my parents and me and my 2 siblings stayed in various motel rooms along the way. You just change in the bathroom and everyone is fine.

I would take the free dining. Have fun!

pa
Level Contributor
54,314 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

Go for it Shell

The Free Dining is Swell :)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,979 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

We have split our stay the first time we stayed onsite. Half in a 2 bedroom suite and half onsite at Disney. We enjoyed the onsite part of our trip more. I believe there are still rooms for September dates and later in August at a value resort.

I think a value for free dining is a great value, especially if you have more then 2 in a room. The more in your room the more you save.

ireland
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

hi shell

we stayed at the caribbean beach resort the room is a lot smaller than the homewood but we dressed in the back of the room where you could store your clothes and pull a curtain over to shield you from the rest of the room

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,979 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: changing our plans is it worth it?

I forgot to mention the best part of staying onsite with teens. They can easily get around using the transportion by themselves. We always have park hoppers and some times they would hop over to HS to ride rock n roller coaster and then meet the rest of us at the park we went to. It gives them a bit of freedom and makes the trip more enjoyable.