We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for DVD's

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Topic
Best place for DVD's

Hi All

We are going to Florida in Sept 11th staying on IDrive, want to buy some Dvd's for my collection.

Where's the best place to get them

Meka68

Falkirk, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for DVD's

Now that Virgin at DTD has closed down, the choice of stores isn't so good. There's a place at the Florida Mall, inside the foodcourt area, called FYE (think it stands for 'For Your Enjoyment') which has a good selection but my kids tell me that the prices aren't all that competitive.

It goes without saying that all the Disney stores have a stock of their own DVDs! (If there's a Disney marketing opportunity, they grab it!).

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for DVD's

Wal-Mart and Target have a pretty good selection, as does Best Buy.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for DVD's

Thanks Guys

Wales
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for DVD's

I agree with Disneyveteran, I always get some things in here, great selection. So much better than my record store

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for DVD's

You can buy DVDs also at WalMart and Best Buy.

BE AWARE: You do know about region coding - don't you? And you do have a multi-region machine, right?

If not (or if these terms mean nothing to you) then don't buy DVDs in the USA. They may very well not work.

midlands
Level Contributor
191 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for DVD's

walmart and target are great for dvds... have gotten many in the past, but like previous posts say make sure your player is de regioned!

Berkshire
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for DVD's

I agree with SCAN60,

If your dvd player is multi-region then there is nothing to stop you buying dvds out there but if it's not then i wouldn't bother. American dvds run on region 1 and in the UK our dvds are region 2. If you put a region 1 dvd in a region 2 player then it wont work and your money will be wasted.

I'd stick to the safe route and not buy any if you don't know

J x

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for DVD's

Ive got a multi-region DVD player (most in the UK are, some require a simple handset hack) but TBH I've always found DVD's cheaper buying online from Amazon in the UK than buying locally in the US.

I'd be interested in looking for blu-rays this year but unfortunately my blu-ray player is my Sony PS3 which CAN NOT be hacked so is UK-only.

Cheers

Jez

Berkshire
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for DVD's

I know about the handset hack as well but i can never be bothered to try it, did it once but that was it. I would suggest buying off the internet Amazon is pretty good. I use Play.com they have a lot of sales with most dvds at like £2.99 each and delievery is free and normally within 3-7 days. Also good because the dvds are sent through your normal post so no waiting in lol

J x

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for DVD's

Jez.

With Blu-rays, although there is region coding many of the discs are released region free.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

this site is worth looking at as it gives you a complete list of what films have what coding.

I have a English PS3 but at least half my blu-rays are from the US.