We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

Booked and paid for flights, with Delta, from Edinburgh to Orlando via JFK, in May. Flights for Dec 09.

Yesterday Delta confirmed they are not flying from Edinburgh after Sept 09.

They can offer flights via Paris and Atlannta, but that takes over 18hrs. So it looks like a refund and trying to find other flights.

Not many options flying from Scotland,in Dec. Looks like it's a drive down to Manchester and good ol Virgin.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

welshjock, I posted on here the other night Virgin have some great flight offers for the time your going

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

The price for the Virgins flight are good, it's just the hassle of driving to Manchester.

There are flights but not if you want to take any luggage.

Its early days in my new search, but I think it will be Manchester.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

We allways go to Gatwick the day before we fly it makes the holiday nicer and longer lol ,so make it the day before and relax with a nice meal and a late start the day of your flight .

I know you have a 2-3 hour drive but its the same for us 1 hour ferry crossing then 1 hour drive to Gatwick so its a overnight for us .

I wish you luck in your search but dont leave it to late as at those prices they will not last long :))

Co Down, N. Ireland
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

Hi welshjock, have you checked out Continental's wedsite..

Caroline.x

Tayport, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

Hi Welshjock

If you book the Virgin flights from Gatwick you can then add on internal flights from Edin to Gatwick return through Virgin. Your entire journey is then on 'one ticket' so to speak and BA honour Virgin's baggage allowance and allow large amounts on the internal flights. This is what we did last year.

Also, think about flying down to Gatwick the night before etc and doing Twilight check-in etc.

Fife
Level Contributor
237 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

You could try FLY GLOBESPAN from Glasgow or FLY down to London and connect to BA or Virgin at Gatwick-its not much dearer.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

When we go to Manc to fly to Orlando, we get the train.

For info, using advanced tickets and a family and friends railcard, 6 of us are getting down to Manchester and back from Kirkcaldy for £114 (£57 each way).

Our hotel is the new Travelodge and we booked 2 rooms there before we fly for £19 each room.

I dunno why anybody bothers driving when the train takes you right in to the airport terminal and you dont have the 5 hour drive when you get home...

Train + hotel for 6 people = £152

stack that against the cramped uncomfortable drive in an overloaded car with £40 each way petrol and then the 2 week parking charges at the airport, say £99 and I know which I prefer.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

by the way,

I see you are in Edinburgh...

There is a train service direct from Waverley to Manchester Airport.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

To answer a few of the above.

Virgin (and Delta) is about £750 return for 2, Contentinal is a LOT more.

I've tried Flyglobespan, they do not seem to fly from Glasgow in Dec

I'll look into the train, we have done this once before, but had to change at Preston, and Manchester, but this was a while ago.

The trouble with flying down to Gatwick is on the return there is a bit of a wait for the flight back to Edinburgh.

But thanks for your help, I'll let you know what we end up doing

Paul

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The" cons" of booking it all yourself, Delta flights

You could try Edinburgh - Dublin - MCO with Aer Lingus. As always, depends on your dates etc.

You could also try Glasgow - Dublin etc.

Hope that helps.