We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best guide book?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best guide book?

I was thinking of buying a guide book for WDW,so I went to Books a Million to see what they had. There were about 6 or 7 different ones. Does anyone have any opinions on which one is best?

England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best guide book?

In my personal opinion. For a more technical book with a lot of info i would go for the unofficial guide to walt disney world. However i really like the passporters guide to walt disney world as it really is a great looking book. And has removable info so you can take it around. I believe this is only with the binder addition. You can get this books from amazon at a lower price.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best guide book?

For us, it's the Unofficial Guide. Lot of infos and great tips. With their touring plan, we never waited more than 15 min for a ride. We use it twice for X-mas 2007 and 2008 and never waited more than 20 min even for soarin. I also think their reviews of hotels and restaurants are acurate. They also have a web site www.touringplans.com where you can find a lot more information like the crowd level, best time to visit, touring plans etc..

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best guide book?

I saw both of those at the book store. The pass porters was the binder edition, which I thought was neat. And the unofficial guide one had a LOT of information. Didn't get to read a whole lot of either one,because I had milk in the car and had to get home pretty quick. I think I will go back today and read some more,and then go to Amazon to buy one if I decide to do that. I have been to touringplans.com and actually spent the $9 to get their info, but there doesn't seem to be all that much info,as they keep referring to the book itself if you want more information. Thanks,guys,for the help.

Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
213 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best guide book?

I bought 3, but the unofficial one is by far the best, it covers everyting you can think of and then all the things you never imagined thinking about, but which are useful and relevent to know!

If we get the chance to go again I would only buy the unofficial one.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best guide book?

I paid the touringplans thing this last time and learned nothing I didn't already know !

We love the Birnbaum's Unofficial Guide. Even though we've been several times, I still buy a new updated version each time.

It has sections on the resorts, each park , dining, extra activities, etc. There are sections on packing & getting ready, transportation, etc Very good. Pictures too. I think it is about $15 at Barnes & Noble and at Amazon.com

denver, co
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best guide book?

I have read several, but the best is the Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld. Really in depth info and very neutral information. They tell it like they see it. I checked out all the books I read from the library. That way I could afford to read them all.

midwest
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best guide book?

Forgot to mention, Birnbaums' also has a "Guide For Kids, by Kids". It is about $8 and a smaller version. It has lots of pictures and information written by other kids that have been to Disney. It tells where the best ice cream and pizza are, what the scariest ride is, or the best place to sit at the parade.

My kids have enjoyed it in the past. I gave it to them the week before we went so they could 'get ready' too. It's probably not necessarily for a 16/17 year old.....but good for up to about 14.

I think it would be good to take or give them on the airplane or while traveling by care there too.

Birmingham (England)
Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best guide book?

The 2010 unofficial guide is due out at the end of August, if you can, I'd wait for the latest version!!

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best guide book?

Thanks for all the input,everyone. I went ahead and bought the unofficial guide from Amazon for $12.99 I I tend to fall asleep when I try to read.(maybe because I have to get up at 4 am LOL!)so I wanted to start asap.I didn't even think of the library,wdwfan. I'd probably fall asleep there,too!!! Again,thanks for all the input.

Thetford, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best guide book?

We always buy the Brits Guide, I know it's aimed at us Brit's but it's really a great guide for all. It covers all parks and has great hints and tips throughout the book. I would go as far as to say this is the best guide book ever!