We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

Hi everyone

I need some advice.

On Monday I badly tore my calf muscle which has seperated. I can't put any weight on it at the moment and we leave August 5th for 3 weeks.

How am I going to get round the parks? I must say that I have thought about scooter rental. What do you suggest?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,407 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

Scooter rental is definitely the way to go.

Are you going to be able to easily get in and out of the ride vehicles? This is definitely going to slow you down.

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

I really hope I will be able to get on and off rides easily.

The drs said 8 to 10 weeks to heal fully but I hope to see a great improvement in the next 2 weeks or it's scooter rental for me!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

Will you be able to fly with such an injury? I'd be more concerned about DVT

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

Doctor said it would be ok to fly so will take their word for it.

Am just worried about getting around.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

Maybe consider getting a 'fitness to fly' certificate from your Doctor to save complication/disappointment at the airport

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

I would suggest speaking to a hire company about the option of scooter rental. The company that i used when we were out in June was

http://randysmobility.com/Welcome.html

What is really nice about this company is they have a UK phone no, so you can phone them in the US without incurring the charges. They should put your mind at ease ease about mobility in the parks.

This is way easier than hiring a scooter on the day, as its your own one and takes the stress out of trying to hire at the park.

which parks are you going to? We did Universal. On the website for Universal they explained in depth all the rides which can take motorised scooters and where you need to leave your one for a wheelchair for the ride.

I did notice a few that you can sit in your own chair, and did so for them as it was easier for me.

Hope you enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

Thank you.

We have the 14 day Disney Ultimate tickets so will check their website.

Will also phone virgin to see if I need to obtain a fitness to fly certificate.

Thanks again.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
608 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

My at the time 13 year old son broke his tibia and fibula just before our trip to Disneyland in 2006 and was on crutches and had an aircast. We were very worried as to how he was going to get around and considered renting a wheelchair or scooter. As it turned out he was usually ahead of us getting to the rides and did amazingly well! We took lots of rests and Disney was fantastic with not making him wait in the lines so he spent very little time standing. Good luck!

Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

as far as i know you can hire out wheelcairs abd that in the disney parks... check out their website to see what price they are....

i hope this wont ruin your whole holiday and you can still have a good time and make the most of it

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leave in 2 weeks and on crutches!

Hi you should definately hire a scooter. Dont do it in the parks as they are very expensive, use a local company. On the plus side if you have a mobility scooter you dont have to wait in line!! you and your family go to the front of the line and they have special places for people in wheelchairs.Have a great holiday.