We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

Hi, discovered something about lanyards and trading pins. Are kids suppose to wear these and trade? Insight please. THanks

pa
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

Pin trading is great fun

Here is a bit of info and the details to get you started. I warn you tho, once the kids get into it, there is no stopping them :)

http://allears.net/btp/mil_pin.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

Well, it's not required but it is a lot of fun (and can get awfully expensive.) My kids are totally hooked on pin trading. Some people order pins online at a discount before their trip; otherwise single pins start at about $7 each if not part of a set. I tried to get my kids to just buy and trade what they like, but some people go for limited editions, cast member exclusives and hidden Mickey pins. We were told that CM's are required to trade up to 2 pins with children who want to do so.

warwick
Level Contributor
476 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

We gave pin trading a go last year, great fun and the kids loved it, unfortunatly my bank balance wasn't so keen.

My kids have a lanyard each for special pins from the parks they visited which they just wear and do not trade from.

Also they have a lanyard each with smaller pins to trade from. Ebay usually have job lots for sale, which work out a better price to trade with.

My son has AS so he did get quite obsessed and checked every cast member we past by, which was quite hard going.

Hope this helps

Dee

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

I have been in the process of trying to figure out things to buy kids before we go. Definately fanny packs. (not Disney though). Especially 8 yr old son loves to collect junk. Thought the Lanyards might be fun during our stay, maybe the passholder one etc..but I think I still feel better holding passes..He collects bottlecaps and insisits that we ask every restaurant for a few. Given we dont plan visit every year, I dont know if its worth it.

uk
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

My kids done it on this trip it was good fun but expensive as other posters have said, after being home for 7 weeks and 2 days however, my kids have forgotten all about them and they are chucked in their bedrooms somewhere, if i spent less time on this forum and vacumed upstairs more often i might find them, lol

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,401 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

You can buy pins for all your favourite rides. Might be good as a one-off - you don't have to trade them if you don't want to.

Another great Disney invention for squeezing a few more bucks out of the tourists :-)

There's loads of pin trading shops around the parks and a big one in Downtown Disney

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

I have two opinions about these.

1. They are a way for kids to really get into the magic and feel that they are part of it all.

OR

2. Its a shameless ploy by the Disney corporation to extract every last cent from an already bled white set of parents.

As was noted, once home they are all forgotten with their $8+ price tag for each pin.

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

Most certainly a ploy by Disney...fantastic marketers! I am just going to buy a neck lanyard to hold passes on ebay. Add couple of pins they can trade for the heck of it and a basic fanny pack they can use again at carnavals or future vacations. Does anyone know about the souveniers under $10 place around Disney WOrld? If so where is it?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,401 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

The souvenirs under $10 is in Downtown Disney opposite the Rain Forest Cafe

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lanyards and pins...anyone know what this is about?

Of course, it doesnt help that the cheaper store is across from an expensive Disney Restaurant that kids beg to eat in...lol