We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My bf has broken his ankle

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
My bf has broken his ankle

Ok I think we are just not meant to go at all this year...

first i seriously injure my back...

i have an exam on the day we were due to travel so we have to change the dates which would have cost us over €1000 so we cancelled it...

then as things were looking up when we rebooked it we saved 3000 euro

my boyfriend fell and broke his ankle

i need advice on how to manage out there...

he will be able to use crutches but we need to hire out a wheelchair for him as he also broke his wrist and using the crutches would get sore after a while...

help

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
426 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

You should be able to hire a wheelchair or scooter thing at any of the parks. If there is an upside of your boyfriends injury then it's that queues are not going to be something you'll need to worry about as scooter/wheelchair users get to the front of all the queues, shows etc.

Transport between disney parks is gernally excellent, and those with injuries/disabilities are treated far batter than in the UK (from what I perceive)

I'm sure someone will also be along in a minute with details of how you can hire a scooter for the whole period of your holiday.

Worry not, I'm sure you'll still have a great time.

When are you leaving?

pa
Level Contributor
53,817 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

Oh My :(

Keep your chin up, it will be OK. He can manage and you will, at last, have something to Smile about

Have a look at www.caremedicalequipment.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

My friend went to Disney with a broken leg last year and she got around just fine. There will be a few rides he can't go on and he can get a wheelchair from Disney (I think she said it was free?).

One bonus is that she didn't have to queue at all and neither did her family, they all got shuffled onto the rides through the disbaled entrance and this was in mid-august when the parks were very very busy.

Just don't let him get the cast wet! This happened to my friend and she was left feeling very soggy and sorry for herself as it took a couple of days to dry out! :(

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

We were in the same situation last year with a broken ankle.

Contact your Travel Agent and explain your situation and they may be able to get you an extra leg room seat on the flight.We received priority boarding, good on the way out but on landing you are the last the leave. If travelling with Virgin there is a seperate check in desk for this. We asked for extra leg room but was placed in a window seat which was very uncomfortable for him.There was someone to meet us off the flight with a wheelchair.Having said that our experience was a bit of a mash up as the TA didnt inform Virgin of our situation. So i would contact the Airline direct.

I believe there are Companys if Orlando that hire you a wheelchair for the whole stay which works out cheaper than hiring them each day at the parks. if you are staying at a Disney resort you can borrow one free of charge but is based on a first come first serve basis. Andi dont think they can be taken off the property?

Also we took a certificate from the Doctor and Hospital to say if was okay for him to fly.

Salfordlad will be able to help you with a Company where you can buy a waterproof cover for the plaster cast for when he wants to go swimming.You might also be able to get a temporary cast from the Hospital which isnt so heavy

Caz Essex xx

Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

oh what a relief to hear it wont be a disaster well i hope so i'm having nitemares about forgetting ticktes and dollars and all things happening whhen we get to orlando litterally the last few nites i've had bad dreams to do with florida lol

thanks for letting me know those things

Whats this about a cover for the cast he was so looking forward to swimming and now he's not going to get a chance... we have a villa with a pool booked

so were goin the 25th Aug for 16 days

i was looking into hiring a wheelchair for the whole trip from a company it looks like it will be around 300 dollars in total but i dont mind paying that

he's still be able to fly fingers crossed he has to get an operation to fix it and get pins in it 2moro if its not too swelled so i'll get a letter from the doc

i contacted Aer Lingus coz i booked the flights myself and they said he cant get an exit row seat and will have to stay in a normal seat unless we pay 275euro to upgrade to a premium seat and thats each way..... so dean said he'l manage the normal eisle seat he doesnt want to sit on his own

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

So your boyfriend wont be in a cast when hes over there , just on crutches? Either way he will either need to keep the cast dry or keep the area which was operated on dry? The waterproof cover is made out of plastic with an elastic seal to keep the water out.

Also i would check with Air Lingus if it is okay for him to fly only 13 days after the operation. Im not sure but i think iread somewhere that you cannot fly so many days afterwards?

Good Luck

Caz Essex xx

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

Does the hospital know he is travelling? you will need to get permission to travel from them and it has to be a special plaster to travel as it has to allow for swelling during the flight. If he has just done this and you are travelling so soon they may not allow it especially as its a broken wrist and ankle. You will also have to inform your travel insurance company to ensure he is covered.

I dont think the waterproof covers allow swimming..its just splash proof but i may be wrong.

Wheelchair hire is not free at the disney parks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

Hi

I have difficulty walking, and hired from a compnay called Randys mobility.

http://randysmobility.com/Welcome.html

On their website they state that is costs £45 to hire a chair for the day from disney, whereas from them you can hire for your full two weeks and it is way cheaper!

They are a good company- i have been recommending them since we got back in June to loads of others like you!

They have a London phone no-so it should not cost the earth to phone them!

I would recommend it-even for piece of mind as there are loads of walking in the parks.

Depending on what one you are going to eg universal they have a list of all the rides you can go on whilst in the chair.

Most of the queues in Universal are okay for the chair-however you can skip a few of them so even for the couple it is worth the cost!!

Enjoy.

Carrie

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

Indeed, you'll need to contact your travel insurance company to make sure he's covered. Otherwise if he manages to get over there and injure himself again, he won't be convered AT ALL (Even if the injury isn't realated to his op).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My bf has broken his ankle

i did a quick search on google and found the following websites that sell covers for a cast.

allegromedical.com/personal-care-c532/dry-pr… (

US site)

betterlifehealthcare.com/view_product.php…

(UK site)

There seems to be stuff out there that people with a cast can sue to go swimming-so it seems your BF can go swimming after all!