We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To rent a car.....

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
To rent a car.....

sorry this is one of those annoying should i rent a car or not questions! We would probably be renting the car through the travel operator we were booking with, at the moment this looks like travel city direct. as we are both under 25 there premium insurance package offers the young drivers tax included before you go so we wouldnt have to pay anything when we got there. The only thing is that this is an extra £346. Are we better off renting a car or not. I think that we might get annoyed with having to wait around for buses. So the question is is it worth the extra money or not? hope that makes sense! Thanks in advance!

London
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To rent a car.....

Its a lot of extra money!

You don't have to get buses tho - I can't be doing buses here, let alone in Orlando.

Cabs aren't that expensive, avoid hotel town cars tho. Before I drove, my friend and I use to get cabs and pretended we were chauffeur driven! The cost wasn't that much different by the time you add on fuel etc. Where are you going to stay and what do you plan on seeing?

You maybe able to mix between buses and cabs or if going further afield, just hire a car for a couple of days.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To rent a car.....

We are planning on staying on i-drive. would probably want to do all of the parks, busch gardens and maybe the kennedy space centre. if we are having a car we would want it for the whole time though i think

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,870 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To rent a car.....

I can't help you to decide how you'd feel about "waiting around for buses" and so on. That's really all your own feeling. How much the undoubted convenience of a rental car is worth, vs. the costs.

Note that as well as the upfront rental and insurance there will also be parking fees - it costs $12 per day to park at the major attractions, for example.

On I-Drive, you do not **need** to have a car; you can be quite mobile without one but it does, of course, take longer to get about and does require a different type of planning.

As for "getting annoyed" waiting - perhaps you already have your answer, but if you are still considering, you can minimise waiting time by working to the schedules; they are all available on-line.

You can pretty easily get to all the major attractions in Orlando using city buses. This costs $16 each for a weekly pass. Busch Gardens is in Tampa and there is a once daily shuttle that's free for holders of certain FlexTickets and I think only $10 round trip for others. And there are day tours to the Space Center you can book at the concierge desk in the hotel.

It's my reckoning that you could save a fortune by refraining from that rental car - use the money saved to buy a few cab fares when the bus simply isn't going to work for you and spend the rest on shopping (Go to the Mall by bus, too!).

All you need to know about doing without a car here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34515-c116996/Orland…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To rent a car.....

I'd say if you can afford it get a car, but only depending on what you want to do.

I couldn't do Florida without a car, but I love the freedom to escape to where I want when I want. Wake up a decide to head out to St. Petes no problem, visit Kennedy and decide to carry on down to Cocoa Beach easily done. Hit a mall in the morning then take off to Winter Park for some lunch and a lazy afternoon.

You probably need to think about what you want to do, and if having a car gives you an advantage in doing that and is worth the cost. I would asume you'll get a better rate for car hire by looking online yourself rather than going through an agent. If you are looking to save some cash sop around yourself, and if there's only the two of you a Compact will be fine, normally a Crysler Neon or similar (same size as an Astra/Focus/Golf).

cambridge
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: To rent a car.....

Hi

why not have a look at USRENTACAR web site

and put in your details, and see what the cost is. I think you maybe pleased, even as a young driver. Have used them before and they are v good,

good luck

6. Re: To rent a car.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2010, 07:17