We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to from Orlando ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Where to from Orlando ?

We are planning a visit to Orlando next June. We are flying in from Australia beginning at New York, then Washington followed by Orlando. After the chaos at Disney etc.. we would love to settle somewhere for about 5 days just to relax and enjoy the warmth - any suggestions as to where we could head from Orlando would be great. We were thinking of spending the time in Miami, but the area looks pretty vast and getting an idea of where to stay is challenging.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
World of Disney
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Epcot
Theme Parks, Disney Parks & Activities
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
Disney Parks & Activities, Gift & Speciality Shops
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
186 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

I have never been to Miami as it seems to be more of a party city to me. When we want to relax after a lot of activity, we go to St. Pete Beach. There are a lot of small towns along the gulf coast near St. Pete that look just as nice. I have also found that I prefer the Gulf of Mexico over the Atlantic. The beaches are a lot nicer. You may also want to take a look at Sanibel island. If you do decide Miami is right for you, make sure to spend some time at Everglades National Park and maybe Key Largo.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Largo
Largo
Florida
London
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

As another option - I like to go to Fort Lauderdale. Nice beaches etc, Las Olas Boulevard, shops etc and close enough to Miami to go and visit without staying there.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale
Broward County, FL
Las Olas Boulevard
Las Olas Boulevard
5,697 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,947 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

I really enjoyed my trip to Oklahoma City. It depends on what you are looking for and what you enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

I'll just throw in a vote here for Naples on the Gulf Coast. Lovely beaches, good shopping, easy access to so many other places - love it!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
761 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

Go to Vegas and stay at the Bellagio. Then you can sit by the pool and relax, but if you want to go see a show in the evening or go out to dinner you'll have heaps of options to choose from.

Mentioned in this post
England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

Anna maria island, we went there in may and was amazed such a nice place about a 2 hour drive from orlando and the beaches are so nice. we stayed at palm tree villas which i would recomend highly. there is some great resturants like the sandbar and the pier where you can have breakfast overlooking the sea. very nice. you can get a boat tour and relax at bean point with is the tip of the island.

here is some links.

http://www.annamariaislandchamber.org/

http://www.sandbar-restaurant.com/

http://www.palmtreevillas.com/

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
UK
Level Contributor
870 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

I second Naples it is a lovely relaxing place, and it's also got a Cheesecake factory! The beaches are great too.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,048 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

do you have kids? Miami is a party place, or at least what it's known for.

For beach, I personally like the ocean side. Cocoa Beach is my pick. Cocoa Village is quiet and neat little place with lots of shops and restaurants. The "world famous" Ron Jon's surf shop. Make a run up to the space coast if you enjoy NASA and shuttle stuff.

Want to get out of Florida? What about the Shenandoah Valley/Skyline Drive area in Virginia? The Blue Ridge mountains are VERY laid back and quiet and quite lovely. And not like anything you will have experienced on your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach
Brevard County, FL
Cocoa Village
Cocoa Village
419 Reviews
Cocoa, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

Another vote for Anna Maria island if you want a complete change from Orlando - no high rise buildings, no chain restaurants but great beaches, good locally owned restaurants, friendly locals and fantastic sunsets. A bit of "old Florida".

IMO Miami isn't all its cracked up to be - yes it has some art deco buildings and some nice areas but overall its a large built up sprawl which just happens to have a beach, certainly no character.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to from Orlando ?

I like the gulf coast of Florida myself for a few days after Orlando but if you want another decent option without the sand why not look at taking the direct Jetblue flight from Orlando to Austin and head down to San Antonio (famous for the Alamo) and stay at the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch resort where there if that resort feel, hot weather and right across from Seaworld as well. Riverwalk is a good place to visit. There is a nice pool area at that resort and enough to do nearby.

This will leave you a lot shorter flight to LA as well as letting you experience yet another state.

I think you may have been in Vegas already from your previous posts but if not that would be ok but not as relaxing. Another options to consider would be Pheonix, Arizona. Lots of nice resort style hotels there too.

Have a good trip wherever you go.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Austin
Austin
Texas
The Alamo