We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - additional costs

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire - additional costs

I have just taken this of the TCD website

We like our pricing to be as transparent as possible, and yes, we’re being honest there are obligatory extra costs involved in your car hire, such as taxes, access fees and other charges. For more infomation please see the additional costs section.

any idea how much these extra costs would be ,as I cannot find it on the website.although I have sent an email I got the auto responce of "We will get back to you in 5 days "

if anyone could enlighten me so I can start saving again

Uk
Level Contributor
306 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

I have been told in the past that the extra costs are about the same price as the car hire. When we have have got a fly drive before we dont bother getting the car that is supplied but pay to get our own. that way we pay about 250/300 pounds for top range SUV and gold cover. Where as I believe they may add over 100.00 in extra charges even if it is a small economy car.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

OMG I hope not I am paying £658 for a 12 seater mini van & £84.00 for the Platinum Insurance

What can I do now ?

england
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

We paid for everything in advance this year which helps. However it did not stop the hard sell the other end though, do not pay our for anything you do not need. I would therefore phone TCD first. If I am right are they not virgin run now, if they are you should not have any other costs.

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

Well I sent My Email off on Wednesday , but as of yet still no reply.

I will keep you all updated with anything I receive back .

Phil

Worksop, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

Hi Phil

What type of cover have taken so far?

You are entering a whole new world of grief if you only take out basic insurance.

They will try to sell you insurance when you pick the car up at higher rate than you would pay here.

If you take the full insurance option here,I think it platinum, you'll be covered for third party insurance, airport fees, breakdown cover, all local surcharges (inc airport and local/state tax, loss/collision damage waiver, supplementary liability insurance (SLI) and a full tank of petrol.

Found this off the TCD site so its stacks up to what I have said. Hope I have not missed anything out

Platinum Package TCD

This allows you to pay absolutely ALL charges in advance. It includes 3rd Party Liability Cover $1 million, LDW and UMP, plus all State Taxes, Airport Fees, Handling Fees, All Additional Drivers, a Full tank of Petrol and includes CFCs and HSFs. In addition to these, it also includes Drivers Under 25. If you require these additional extras then this is definitely the package for you.

I would have no hesitation going for the platinum cover

That means you do not have to pay for anything else when you pick up your car hire.

I don't think I could relax if I was worried about any of this. Do not penny pinch on the subject of car insurance, it is not worth it.

The only thing you might have to pay for is an upgrade if you decide thats the way you want to go.

We have never had the hard sell, we just said no thanks.

The only problems booking through the package operator the car hire you will pay for can be anything upto £150-£200 more than booking direct.

Have look we booked through www.holidayautos.co.uk

last year.

Sorry its a bit long winded

Just a thought

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

I am looking at booking a week's holiday with Virgin at the moment. The package includes 'free' car hire for the week but this only comes with 3rd party insurance.

I have priced up the cost of upgrading the insurance with Virgin against ignoring the free car and booking car hire separately; the package is coming out very slightly cheaper so I will go with that.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you upgrade your insurance when booking in the UK - do not wait until you pick the car up at the airport, or you will be absolutely fleeced on price by the car hire company!!!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

we have booked the plainum package through tcd and the price for an e4 graded car was £364. Hope this helps

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

Madscotsman12

big thanks for taking the time with this , yes taken the platinum insurance it was only £84.00 extra & I wont be having an upgrade as I have aready got a 12 seater booked for the 8 or us . so in you opinion do you think I will not have to pay anymore money ?

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

If you have already bought Platinum insurance then there will be nothing more to pay. They may try to sell you various extras such as roadside assistance, prepaid tolls etc. These are all totally unecessary, just get the keys and go!!

Windsor UK
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire - additional costs

We have just returned from Florida and our car had sunpass enabled,but $3.50 would have been added extra each time if we had used it,instead we paid our tolls at the booths.