We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter dates for american schools?

England
9 posts
Save Topic
Easter dates for american schools?

hello

very new to the forum and very new to holidaying in Orlando! Trying my best to book this chance of a lifetime holiday .We need to go using one of the English easter holiday weeks but I don't know when the American children are off school and if this means it will be extra busy? Any advice?

Could anyone help me coz I am feeling a little out of my depth ...will happily take adive!

many thanks

Jackie

New York
Level Contributor
377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

Easter week starts April 4th. Most private schools in the northeast close for that week. Public schools close the week before starting March 28th. for Passover. We are heading down the week of the 28th. We have been there before on those weeks and it has been crowded but manageable. We always stay at a Disney resort to take full advantage of the extra hours etc.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

From experience, we now come the second of the UK school weeks and keep the kids off school an extra week as Easter is so busy and you cannot enjoy the parks.

Orlando,
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

We live in Orlando and work with visitors so we see the busy and less busy times. US schools now stagger their spring breaks by region so they really start in early March and go until late April. The weeks on either side of Easter Sunday are the most common, but the parks are noticably more crowded for the entire two months.

candyfloss40
Level Contributor
685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

Hey Romancing....we have booked 11th March 2010..now realise could be a big mistake because of holidays etc... would maybe consider 15th April which is 2 weeks after Easter... I could even do Feb..What are your opinions???

Also Jackie.... Kids and school holidays always gets a lively debate going on here. Luckily I dont have to worry about kids and schools. But when we had the kids round...I can honestly say that the price outweighed any other issue's. We are due to go March 11th..which looking into it is not a good idea because of crowds etc. My hubby and I went June/July a few years ago...we wandered into Magic Kingdon...walked halfway up main street and decided we maybe would not enjoy our day as much as we have at other times...ie; May...November..and early December. The MK was packed and if I thought that was packed in June/July...and it is supposed to be busier March/April and round Xmas - well for me I will not bother... If it is your first time..you will have a wonderful time without a doubt...BUT in my opinion and it is my opinion - I would try to go when it will be less crowded, as I feel you can take it all in much better..

good luck xx

England
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

Thanks to everyone for their replies.I am really stuck because I would love to go during May but I have 2 children at school(8 and 12) and plus I work in a school too!

I guess I am going to have a long hard think.If possible I would love to take time outta school...best ask nicely when i return to work.

thanks again...I bet I will return with amny ore questions

Jackie

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to provide you with an accurate and exact answer because there is no "American" time for school breaks.

Each city and/or school district make sits own schedule.

To illustrate the potential variety, let me give you an example of one of the 50 states, New Jersey. New Jersey is comprised of 566 municipalities and has 620 school districts (no, that's not a typo). Each individual district makes its own school schedule. I live on a small island comprised of 4 towns. Each town has its own school schedule for kindergarten through 8th grade ... there are plenty of times that my kids go to school on a day when their friends in the next town (about 2 streets away from our house) have a day or two off. And the kids from all of the towns go to Atlantic City for high school, which has yet a different schedule. You can have a family where a 6th grade child has days off from school when their other child in 11th grade has school on those days, and vice versa.

So as you can see, even within one HOUSEHOLD there can be different school holidays, let alone in an entire nation. :-)

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

CandyFloss,

if you are so flexible, I would say that the February date would be the safest. BUT, do not go during President's Week (Washington's birthday week) , because many schools up North ( like in New York) get a midwinter recess during this week and Disney is crowded. If you can go in February and avoid this week, you will come at a less crowded time.

It really is interesting how the schools here really stagger their Spring Breaks. It really can come from the beginning of March to the end of April depending on the region. Even the Florida school districts themselves have varying spring breaks. Orange County ( a very close school district to Disney) will close the end of March into the beginning of April week, so as far as that one, your March date will be good.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

Not terribly relevant, but somehow everyone in the state of Oregon seems to have breaks at exactly the same time. So the entire state vacations all at once!

Florida has public school districts by county. Here's the relevant schedule for Orlando (Orange County):

https:/…SchoolCalendar.aspx

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

I agree with mickeym0use that early February prior to the American holiday Presidents Day is a great time for low crowds.

The other good thing, at least for people staying at a Disney resort, is that the hotel rates are the lowest of the year up until the Friday of Presidents Day weekend.

However, there are two potential pitfalls: park hours are relatively short (that is, you could get MK and DHS closing perhaps as early as 7 p.m., MK more likely 8 p.m.); and the weather can be iffy. We were there this year on Feb. 7 - 14. We had fabulous weather. But the week just before ours had record cold temperatures, a few days with HIGH temperatures in the 40 degree Fahrenheit range, so the low temperatures were below freezing. And the week after us had fairly low temperatures, also. That's always a risk in central Florida in January and February.

Orlando,
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Easter dates for american schools?

I wouldn't really worry too much here. Crowds during the springtime months are large, but not HUGE. The size of the crowds is predictable: When kids are off of school, crowds are large. When ALL kids are off of school, crowds are larger. The more concentrated the school holidays, the more concentrated the crowds. Christmas & New Years are the most crowded weeks because everyone is off the same time and for only two weeks. Thanksgiving is the next most crowded, because everyone is off, but not all for the entire week. The summer comes next because everyone is off, but it is spread over two to three months. Next comes spring break, but it is not too bad because it is now staggered as mentioned earlier.

The BEST time to go to Disney is right AFTER a holiday. Who takes off between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Only very smart people, at least with regards to Disney. Who goes on vacation after spring break, in May, just before school ends? People who really HATE standing in line. Who visits Disney right AFTER New Year's Day? People who hate hot weather. September is empty because no one leaves school at the start of the school year.