We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel question...about asthma

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Travel question...about asthma

With not knowing too much about this astham stuff.....has anyone ever had any difficulty while they were away on vacation or traveling...if so, can you explain abit please ...

Thanks much for any information...

Disneychicks

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel question...about asthma

I am not sure exactly what you are asking but I suffer from quite severe asthma but have never had any problems on holiday.

The extra humidity can sometimes make me slightly more wheezy but I simply increase my medication before I go and I am fine.

The main thing I need to think about is getting travel insurance as I need to declare my condition before I can be covered.

As long as you bring your medication with you and take it as normal I can forsee no problems.

Forida
Level Contributor
291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel question...about asthma

You didn't say when you're going. Here's an article about planning your trip when you have health issues:

diz-abled.com/Disney-Resources/Articles/Prep…

The summer months are very hot and humid. This can be more challenging for some. The winter is more dry and the weather usually more comfortable, which makes it easier for some to breath, but flowers bloom better in the winter in Florida. So it all comes down to what your personal needs.

You may wish to look at weather.com. You can look at the allergens common to Florida and see when they're active:

weather.com/outlook/…

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel question...about asthma

Thanks, just wanted to get a little input on this. Travel to Disney area usually in May and then some where tropical in the winter months.

Disneychicks

WARWICKSHIRE
Level Contributor
785 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel question...about asthma

I have quite bad asthma but for some reason I am almost cured of it when in Florida! Went two times in humid August, first time I was a bit clueless and was worried the heat and humidity would make it worse. How wrong could I be? And now having just come back from florida I find myself suffering again, when I only used my inhaler a few times the whole holiday!! It depends what your trigger is really, mine is obviously not humidity! All my aches and pains were eased while there too! (I sound like an old woman lol)!

put your inhalers in a clear bag in your hand luggage and tell them when they ask about liquids, and get insured for asthma just in case. Hope Florida helps you as it helped me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel question...about asthma

I have allergy related asthma, and I find the weather in Florida really helps me, I dont know why, but I almost never need my inhaler while Im there! I always take anyway, and a spare just incase, and I make sure I declare it on my travel insurance just incase I have an attack, but touchwood, I never have any problems there

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel question...about asthma

I have less trouble in Florida than at home too., but it's cold air that bothers me. If smoke is a problem you you might want to take a look at the smoking areas on the map so you can do a keep- away. For me the worst one is right across the walkway from the Dole Whip stand at the MK.

With the H1N1 thing I'm going to try to be super careful about touching stair rails, doors and things. The doctor told me to watch money too. I'm all stocked up on wet wipes and hand sanitizer too.

Jennifer

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel question...about asthma

My daughter has asthma which isnt very severe. This year after using the hot tub she had trouble breathing. In florida the hot tubs are very hot!! so just be careful incase it has the same effect with yourself. Other than that she had no problems at all.Have a wonderful holiday.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel question...about asthma

Thanks everyone ...

All your information is great.

Just found out about this :( and wanted some information ...so just thought I would come to the expert traveling group that we have on the Orlando TA and I just know that you could help me out on this !!

Thanks again, Disneychicks

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel question...about asthma

My wife "suffers" from asthma, fingers crossed it is very well controlled. However just to point out that she did have a slight scare at the Terminator 2 show at Universal Studios. At the end there is a deluge of smoke effect which spills off the stage area and fills the auditorium. She got into a slight panic and found it caught her breath. So if you go to this show make your way to the back rows to avoid this effect.

David

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel question...about asthma

Hi, my mum and myself have Asthma - we usually travel to Florida in October (5 weeks to go!!) Anyway, from the minute we arrive in Florida it completley clears up - probably the humidity etc but you should not let having Asthma worry you or hinder you in any way.....enjoy.