We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfort,NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

Have been traveling to Orlando annually for the past 8 years during President's week. Tickets are outrageous for Feb 2010. Will fly out of Albany or Syracuse,NY.

DESPERATE for any suggestions, probably will have to cancel trip this year due to cost.

texas
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

the only thing i can say is just keep checking. rates were outrageous from dfw to mco and finally about july we got our tix for oct for 89 each way. the next day they went back up.

i hope ticket prices decrease so you can go. try signing up at kayak.com for fare alerts and check daily are my only suggestions.

good luck!

Frankfort,NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

Thanks and will try kayak.com

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

Many of the airlines are withrawing services all around the USA in early 2010 due to economic slowdown and with the major airlines loosing millions of dollars they are keeping planes on the ground and shedding jobs over the winter period in an attempt to save money, and on top the the fact of the same airlines also putting these stupid add ons with hand luggage etc they are in serious problems at the moment.

As a result of this during the quieter time of year there are fewer seats to be had to many destinations and as a result its the old supply demand problem, if you want to travel then you have to pay a premium for this so that the airline companies can make as much profit from as little outlay as they can.

Maybe the airline companies may reduce if they cant sell but dont hold your breath.

New York
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

I don't know how far you are from Stewart airport in Newburgh, NY-but Jet Blue flies from there, and also US Airways. Us Airways sometimes has good deals, but you have a stop over in Philadelphia.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

Clay68 has it exactly (must be from Sussex, England, not Long Island or Delaware).

Delta has service from Albany to Daytona Beach. I don't think there's any relevant service to Orlando Sanford (Elmira doesn't look so good).

pa
Level Contributor
53,895 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

We have had luck with Southwest out of Albany. Better fares will be out in a few months hopefully ( we fly Southwest alot and get the best deals less then 60 days out )

Sign up for the "DING" feature and you will recieve e-mail Specials. Good Idea to sign up for thier 'Rapid Rewards' Card too, it's free and they have Special Offers for Members

Presidents Week is a Hot Week and the Airlines know it

Frankfort,NY
Level Contributor
33 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

Will try ding. The airlines really hike the prices those weekends around Presidents week. This will be the last year that we will have to follow the school vacation. We're considering flying to Tampa and driving to Orlando,much cheaper. Thanks for the help!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,574 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

That is the weekend of the Daytona 500, and that could have something to do with it. I would also keep checking with Jet Blue. They used to have a direct flight for about $350 roundtrip from Syracuse. I also agree with Farecast, but that is usually for flights 30 days out.

Some sites like cheapticks etc will also give an option of flex dates where you can very your schedule by a day or two to get better rates.

9. Re: Shocked over 2010 cost of airline tickets,any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:16