We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what new foods and sweets can my kids try

united kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
what new foods and sweets can my kids try

HI,

What new sweets and foods do you think my two boys (13 and 9) can try.

I have heard of a twinkie and a hershy bar, not sure what they, think a hershey is chocolate and twinky is some sort of cake type thing.

Have also heard of grits but don't know what that is.

THANKS

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
16,662 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Hershey Bars are great if you like chocolate. You can get them with & without nuts (they use almonds in the ones with nuts). You can also get a dark chocolate version which is my fav. The grocery stores have bags called minatures which give you about 5 different varieties in one bag. Twinkies are a brand of sweet cakes. Many are chocolate but there are also other flavors and most have a cream (fluffy sugary type) filling.

Grits are an acquired taste. I only like them if you add things to them such as lots of butter and maybe a fried egg on top or many people get them with fried fish and baked beans. Some like to add gravy too them. (they can be eaten at all meals)I think they are pretty bland tasting by themselves.

Go to one of the bakeries at Publix and there are so many desserts on display you won't know which one to choose.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Well you learn something new here every day. Chocolate twinkies? I'll have to look for them. The only twinkies I've ever had are a yellow sponge cake with a sweet whipped white filling.

Grits are kind of like semolina.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Grits are very much like polenta, served in a more liquid form. With butter. Formerly a staple of the American South, now restricted to breakfast. Good thing. Poor people who ate nothing but grits (or polenta) suffered dementia due to niacin deficiency.

Hershey bars may be an acquired taste. Americans grow up with them, so don't notice the slight sour-milk flavor. I think in general, Britain offers better candy choices.

The chocolate candy business is divided between Hershey (including Cadbury brands) and Mars, which makes M&Ms and all sorts of candy bars. Hersheys has kisses, M&M has doves.

In the ice cream department, supermarkets offer assorted novelty items. For ice cream itself, a Texas brand, Blue Bell, has ensconced itself in Florida. Texans are very fond of Home Made Vanilla. Carvell is known for ice cream cakes.

In the fast-food department, Taco Bell is always excoriated by fans of 'real' Mexican food, but the tacos are hard not to like. Five Guys burger places have multiplied quite rapidly. The chain is based in Washington, D.C., where it's evidently a major local institution. The President is known to eat there. The food is cheerfully greasy.

Supermarkets are carrying a few Latin American sodas. You might look for tamarind soda by Jarritos and Inca Kola from Peru, whose golden color is maybe a bit off-putting.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
704 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Try the many different types of Oreo biscuits that are available including peanut butter and mint flavours.

M & M's peanut butter (red bag)

Reeces Pieces - like the M & M peanut butter but smaller.(E.T.'s favourite food)

You do find that American chocolate is nowhere near as creamy as the ones from the uk and also note that sweets like kitkat are available there but has american chockolate to cover it, the chewing gum comes in larger packs of sticks.

Try and find a Wal-Mart or Target while there and just roam the isles

London
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

I'm with clay68 - not a hersey fan - it's quite bitter. The white choc isn't too bad but there are plenty of other things to try. US dairy milk doesn't taste the same as here either.

There are lots of others too - I like twizzlers :o) M & M's, skittles, infact there aren't many sweets/choc I don't like! There are also interesting cereals too.

Just take a wander along the aisles!

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Oh yes, M&M Peanut Butter - I always bring back bags of them, they're so good!!

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Don't forget to try the Jelly Beans. ;-)

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Don't forget to try the Jelly Beans. ;-)

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Dunno what happened there????????

belleville ontario
Level Contributor
224 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what new foods and sweets can my kids try

Hello from Canada,

When in the southern USA i always try some of the local foods.I highly reccommend the following ,best bought from local non chain places.

Pulled pork sandwiches

bar b que ribs

REAL southern fried chicken

alligator(yes real alligator)

pecan pie

fried green tomatoes

candied yams

sausage gravy and biscuits(not english biscuits)

virginia ham

fried oysters

almost any American candy bar

Enjoy your stay and eat well.