We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help/input w/ our planning - please!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
help/input w/ our planning - please!

We are going to Disneyworld for 2 weeks from 3/27/2010-4/10/2010. This includes our spring break and during Easter time which I understand is the 2nd busiest time to Christmas. This will be our 2nd trip to Disneyworld (we went in May 2005) which was a great time of year; however baseball supercedes that time of year now! I know that we need to get to the parks early and need to book reservations ahead of time, but is there anything else we need to know? tips I may not be thinking of? We will be staying off site and will be renting a car. We plan to do a 7 day park pass and 1 day at Blizzards Beach, 1 day at Typhoon Lagoon, and 1 day on the gulf coast. The other couple/few days will be to relax and hang out at the resort. We will be going with our 9 year old son and my brother and his family with a 10 year old, 4 year old, and almost 3 year old. Any tips, suggestions, information will be great especially with goind during a busy time of year (we were really spoiled going in the middle of May 2005; it was really pretty quiet then). Thanks in advanced.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
382 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

Hi, we went during your spring break last year (not over the main Easter holiday though), and found it to be alot busier than when we usually go in early June.

We based alot of our planning on the crowd calender which told us the best parks to go to on certain days and which parks to avoid. This may help. We definitely got there for rope drop every day.

Bettystown, Ireland
Level Contributor
823 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

AVOID parks with extra magic hours as you are staying off site(check disneyworld website for park calendars)

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

Where do you find the crowd calendar?

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,889 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

In Spring Break it will be busy everywhere. We caught it once by accident, and couldn't believe the crowds.

Definitely get to the parks and waterparks for opening, and head for the most popular rides.Use fastpasses as much as possible, and check the small print to see when you can get another one.

You may need to split up at times, so the older kids can go on the bigger rides without the little ones having to wait.You could maybe split up first thing, then meet for lunch, then do things together after.We had to do this for a while as our boys have a 4 1/2 year gap.We used to use radios before mobiles were common to stay in touch.

Fastpasses were gone for the day by about 11.30am.

Get to the Waterparks well before opening time, as people start to queue early, and they were full very quickly. Our friend was going to meet us in Blizzard, but they would not let her in until some people had left.

You will need to book restaurants, unless you plan to just eat fast food(counter service).

Agree to avoid the Early Magic Hours parks, as the hotel guests will be in already, so you won't go in to an empty park.

You can stay in the park for late EMH but not go on the rides.(I checked this on a previous trip, we ate and looked round the shops.)

I assume people start driving in very early as well.We caught a very early taxi to Universal, but my friend was driving and meeting us for lunch. Rang me to say she was stuck in a huge queue mid-morning.

Don't mean to dishearten you, we still had a great time, but we had the EMH that year which helped.

chicagoland
Level Contributor
400 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

There is a travel guide book devoted to Disney World called The unnofficial Guide To Walt Disney World

You can browse it in a book store.

The writer has a website

www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php…

The crowd calander is based on years of crowd data compiled by his staff. There are touring plans he offers that help you navigate the crowds in order to get the most out of your trip. You can get more info if you purchase the book because it will ask you for details on a page to verify you bought it. I just took it out of the book at the bookstore...reviewed the site...then decided to buy the book anyway... I found it extremely useful in planning my trip!

denver, co
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

Unfortunetly, you can no longer look at the crowd calendar on touringplans.com with just the book. You now need to pay to join their site. It is $8.95 for a one year subscription. The book is excellent, I highly recommend it, even if you have been to DW before. And I guess the site is worth it, although, the book has pretty much everything you need, except the crowd calendar.

All the advice everyone else gave pretty much covers it. Just be sure to make your dining reservations at your 180 day mark. It is currently 90, but switches back to 180 on Oct 27.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

Thank you once again for the great information so far. Hmmm . . . I think I might get that book. Sounds very useful. Wish we could go at a less busier year; however we are still looking very forward to the trip!

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,375 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

"We plan to do a 7 day park pass and 1 day at Blizzards Beach, 1 day at Typhoon Lagoon"

Just want to be sure you are doing this by adding the Water Park Fun and More option versus separate water park tickets.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

I was planning to just purchase separate tickets at each booth @ BB and TL. I knew about the water park ticket options but the way I read it that couldn't include just/both BB and TL. Am I incorrect? If so, I would just add the water park option.

pa
Level Contributor
54,310 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: help/input w/ our planning - please!

It will cost less to add the Waterpark Fun & More to your Ticket ( $52 ) instead of buying a Ticket each day ( $45 ) If you plan to go more than Once, it makes sense to add the Option