We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

Andover,MA
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

I am taking my two daughters age 15 and 12 to Disney in Feb (like thousands of others!) and was wondering which resort to choose. Want to stay in a moderate resort and can't decide. Can you help? Heard the Port Orleans is very pretty but not heard anything about the pool. Heard Carribean Beach has a newly renovated pool but run down rooms. We stayed at the Coronado Springs 8 years ago and the pool was great but thought we should try something different. Any advice?

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

I'm a big fan of the moderate category. My personal favorite is Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ.) The reason why I hold this one up over all the others is that it's a smaller resort. I don't have to stress about what building to request, what if I don't get where I want to be...whatever, it doesn't matter because all the rooms are so close to where you want to be.

After that, I just stayed at Coronado Springs and I loved the remodeled rooms, I think they're gorgeous. One of the things you'll notice is that CSR only has 1 sink. I personally think it's a trade off. There's a lot more counter space around the sink. As a female, I had a much easier time spreading out my stuff at CSR, so I don't really see the 1 sink as a negative. At the other moderates, there's less vanity space, but there's 2 sinks. The one thing I loved about the remodel at CSR is that they put heavy sliding doors where the other mods just have curtains. It helped block the light when someone else was sleeping.

I haven't personally stayed at Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach. IMO, you'll have families with younger children staying at CBR because of the remodel with Nemo & Pirate rooms. Since you have kids that are older, I might suggest opting for one of the other resorts. For POR, there are a lot of people, especially on this forum that absolutely love this resort. The other advantage to either of the Port Orleans resorts is the boat to DTD.

Andover,MA
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

Thanks so much for your advice. I was wondering if the POR or the POF have a slide in the pool. The girls seem to really like this and that is what attracted them to the CBR.

Forida
Level Contributor
291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

I love Port Orleans Riverside. We've stayed there many times. The pool is one of the things I love about it. It's located on an island and it's surrounded by lush trees. It's got a "waterfall" type thing, so there's always the running water sound that I find very relaxing and a little more adult than the French Quarter pool. There are places to sit that are shadey, and sunny. It's just a really pleasant environment.

The resort itself is very large, but you can request a room near the main areas if you want to cut down on walking. I do agree that it's very pretty. We like that the river runs through the middle of the resort, so much of the resort revolves around the water.

Port Orleans French Quarter is also nice, but much smaller. Personally we prefer the Riverside environment and decor to the French Quarter, but it's really a matter of personal taste. Either place is going to be really pleasant.

diz-abled.com/Disney-Resources/Articles/Disn…

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
413 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

Hi both POR and POFQ have waterslides.

We are staying at POR in Oct, with our sons aged 10 & 14, one of the reasons I chose this resort, is because it gets good reviews on here, and it has 7 pools, one main one with a waterslide.

Elaine

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

Hi we're staying at Port orleans River side, after reading all the reviews and looking at the pics, we decided against POFQ as its a bit smaller and I didn't like the decor that much in the food hall etc.

For younger children it's not the most exciting resort for them, we stayed at Pop Century last year and I know thats a value resort but it was very good and the kids love it there, as its very bright and has 3 pools as well.

If you can stretch to it, id try Animal Kingdom, im sure your girls would really love it there.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

CSR!! We love CSR for the atmosphere, great CM's and the deluxe-lite feel. CSR has a great main pool area too. Your daughters will love the 123 ft slide. Plus CSR offers queen beds too!

Check out my CSR website and forums for pictures, information and much more.

Check out my CSR website!

http://coronado_springs.tripod.com/

Check out the CSR forums!

http://coronado.forumotion.com/forum.htm

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,999 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

I have stayed at both POR and Coronado with teen girls and it is a tie.

Coronado has the bigger beds which they might be sharing. The new rooms are very nice compared to the old style. The pool is better then POR. The food court is tricky but managable but I would only eat there if on the dining plan. It is pricey otherwise. They have less teens there since it is a Convention resort. The bus stops leaving the park are usually closer. The resort is towards AK so it can take a bit longer to get to a DTD and a few of the parks.

POR has more activity, more teens and the boat to DTD. The pool slide is also good but Coronado's is a bit better. If staying at POR you can also use the pool and pool slide at POFQ. The food court has better prices and easier to maneuver. The resort is more central for transportation to the parks.

The sink debate. I too liked the single sink at Coronado for the counter space. Easier to straighten and curl your hair. My girls once broke a expensive straightner dropping it on the ground at POR.

You really can not go wrong at either resort. CBR is nice but attracks families with younger kids, teens usually like to be around teens.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

plbenjamin,

For the most part, which one of the four is "the best" is purely a matter of opinion, and largely coms down to which theme you prefer.

Coronado Springs Resort evokes the American southwest/Mexican northwest. Caribbean Beach Resort evokes ther Caribbean. Port Orleans Riverside evokes rustic backwoods Louisiana bayou and mansions. Port Orleans French Quarter evokes the New Orleans French Quarter without the public debauchery.

EVERY Moderate resort has a pool slide and a hot tub.

As far as CBR's rooms being run-down, this must be outdated information, as every one of the resort's 2,112 guest rooms was TOTALLY refurbished within the last year or less.

CSR's unique standard amenities (as compared with the other 3 Mods) include queen-size beds, room service beyond just pizza delivery, and an on-site gym.

The Port Orleans resorts have boat service to Downtown Disney.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

I liked the moderate too, which I hadn´t thought I would before I stayed at the French quarter last week. I thought I would not like the moderate feeling, but this resort is just like Kat says smaller and easy to get around it. So if we go again we would like to go back there. People was also so nice and frindely but that is of course a subjective comment. The pool could might have been bigger, but for my daughter and me it was perfect. You can also use the pools at Port Orleans its a short walk from the Frence quarter.

Mutter

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,432 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney World, what's the best moderate resort to stay in?

Remember, if you stay at either one of the Port Orleans resorts, you can "pool hop" to the other one's pool at any time, so you have two main pools to choose from at those two resorts.

My personal favorite is Riverside!