We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best deluxe disney resort for families

toronto
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
best deluxe disney resort for families

My husband, 9 year old daughter and I will be travelling for the first time to disneyworld from Feb 6 to 13th. We are looking for a really nice resort that is very convenient to transportation. I booked the Polynesian resort because I like the tropical theme, but am worried about the very mixed reviews I keep reading especially the comments about housekeeping. Would the Wilderness Resort or the Grand Floridian be better choices? I didn't choose the GF because I wanted a more relaxed, kid friendly atmosphere and it's so expensive, but maybe it's worth it.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

Hi

I nearly booked the poly too, that was before husbond told me that we should stay for 14 days, I had priced the Poly for one week.

Its on the monorail and when You are staying at the beach there You can see right over to the GF beach.

I have just stayed a week at French Quarter and that is a moderate and I was very nervouse about it before we come there, but was pleasently surpriced about the place . And for housekeeping make small envolops for tipping and let Your daughter write housekeeping on them and give it out every morning before You leave the room, that way You get to their heart when given a little amount each day, and if the housekeeping changes when You stay there You can be sure that when giving every day they will all work for it.

Mutter

Michigan
Destination Expert
for South Haven, Saugatuck
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

I've not stayed at the Polynesian so I can't comment but I don't think I'd stay at the Grand Floridian either. I'd prefer the Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Contemporary and Old Key West all for different reasons.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,954 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

No 1, Beac h club for the fantastic pool and walking distance to Epcot, DHS, and the Boardwalk.

AKL and Poly second. Poly for the themeing and good restaurants, and monorail access to MK. AKL for the themeing, the great restuarnts and the Aniamls right there to see from your balcony.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

Hi -I think it depends on which Parks you will be spending the most time at.

The Wilderness Lodge has a great boat ride to the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary resort and Fort Wilderness (hoop dee doo review and campfires)

The Beach Club is walking distance to to the Boardwalk, EPCOT (great restaurants) and a boat ride to Hollywood Studios. It is more expensive that WL but the rooms are larger and the pool is great!

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

We stayed at the Poly last January (and were going to return this Jan. too, but Grandma suprised us with AKL instead since we've never been) and we never had any trouble with housekeeping issues during our stay.

With a 9 year old, I'd lean towards the Poly or Wilderness for the closeness of transportation, the quick access to MK, the ability to watch WISHES fireworks from the beach (if your dtr is tired and you don't want to deal with the crowds at MK and want to get to bed quicker), but that's just my humble opinion. LOL

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

All Disney Resorts are very relaxed and kid friendly. Some people will find something wrong no matter where they stay; however you will not find better service than that at Disney parks and resorts. The Grand Floridian is out of our budget, but our close friends who have a large vacation budget and 2 very rambunctious boys spend a week or two there each year and absolutely love it. It , the Contemporary, and the Poly ofter the best transportation options at Disney. (boat, monorail, and bus) If I had the budget, I'd stay at the Grand Floridian.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

That would be "It , (Grand Floridian) the Contemporary, and the Poly OFFER the best transportation options at Disney." Didn't have my glasses on! lol!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,041 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

We've stayed at most of the Deluxe resorts and the Polynesian and Beach Club are my favorites.

The Beach Club had hands-down the best pool on Disney property. You can walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios. The rooms are light and airy. If a balcony is important to you note it on your resevation since not all rooms have full balconies.

The Polynesian has a wonderful location. You can take the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom. You can also go via Monorail to Epcot via a transfer at the Ticket and Transportation Center. If you don't want to transfer you can walk to the TTC from the Polynesian. Rooms at the Polynesian have been renovated more recently than those at the BC. The pool is nice but smallish for a resort this size. It can get crowded.

The Polynesian has the better food court. Neither resort offers upscale dining. The Poly has Kona Cafe and 'Ohana (AYCE "meat on a skewer"). There is a character breakfast featuring Lilo and Stitch.

The Beach Club has Cape May. Breakfast is a buffet featuring Minnie, Goofy and other characters. Dinner is an AYCE buffey with a New England clam bake theme.

More upscale dining is a convenient Monorail ride away from the Polynesian. Both the Grand Floridian and Contemporary resorts offer "fine" dining Disney-style.

The Beach Club is within walking distance of the restaurants of the Boardwalk as well as those at the nearby Yacht Club. These range from burger places to very nice restaurants.

We've only stayed a couple of times at the Wilderness Lodge. The rooms are slightly smaller than at the Beach or Poly and we prefer the Monorail to the boat. Decent food court, nice pool (smaller and less elaborate than Stormalong Bay at the BC) and both a casual and upscale restaurant. Artist Point is one of our favorites.

Animal Kingdom Lodge has, IMHO, the best theme on property. It's an amazing place! Rooms are smallish and all transportation is by bus. The pool is very nice-large and overlooking the savannah. AKL also has some of the best dining options at Disney. Jiko (upscale) is fabulous with a wonderful wine list. I'm generally not a buffet person but I love, love, love Boma! The food court is also very good for a Deluxe resort.

Can't help much with the others-we've never stayed at the Grand Floridian (too prim) or the Contemporary (too stark).

Happy Planning!

Jennifer

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,041 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

Here's a nice website made by a Polynesian Resort fan!

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

J

Terre Haute, Indiana
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best deluxe disney resort for families

Is there anything like this set up for the beach club resort?