We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando -- What a fantastic place for a get-a-way w/teenager

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando -- What a fantastic place for a get-a-way w/teenager

We just got back from a mini three night stay at the Hilton Garden Inn by Sea World. My husband who doesn't care for theme parks didn't come -- so it was just me and my 14 year old son. My cousin from Tampa, also visited us for part of the stay. We had such a blast -- I can't remember having so much fun with my son. We did Sea World Friday // Animal Kingdom from opening to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday -- then two and a half hours back at the hotel (hour of swimming and room service meal) -- Then back to Sea World for the Shamu Rocks show and two more rides on the Manta coaster before the park closed. These parks are just great for visiting/hanging out. And it's so much to veg out at a nice warm pool or spa after a busy theme park day too. Favorite experiences: At Sea World -- sitting up front at the Orca shows getting drenched and getting to see the whales both under and above water (We did wear quick dry clothes and rain ponchos) // Animal Kingdom -- Doing the Maharaja Jungle Trek early in the day before using our Expedition Everest fast passes -- We had the trails and all the knowledable Disney Cast Members all to ourselves who shared so much interesting information and answered all of our questions. I highly recommend to anyone considering it to do a mini Orlando get away with your teen. I'm already thinking about another mini get-a-way. This was just too much fun. I also have to also say customer service was just wonderful everywhere -- excellent at our hotel and Sea World and absolutely outstanding at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,940 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando -- What a fantastic place for a get-a-way w/teenager

So glad you had a great trip..... your report warms my heart, I've enjoyed "1 on 1" short trips to Disney & SeaWorld with each of my kids. (we've also enjoyed family trips, too; but my husband can only handle so many! lol!)

What great places for quality time with a teenager!

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando -- What a fantastic place for a get-a-way w/teenager

What a great way to spend time with your child, wish we lived close enough to do it! Although saying that we are all Florida nuts so there is no way we would get away with going on our own without hubby!!! lol

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando -- What a fantastic place for a get-a-way w/teenager

Thank you both for you posts. Sound like you and your famiies enjoy Orlando as much as my son and I do. How cool UNCMickey that you've done some one on one trips with your kids too. 5Lfc, That's great that your entire family enjoys theme parks . Nature lite type vacations to see animals in the wild, going to National Parks, etc. are the one type of vacation my husband, son, and I all enjoy. I think, though, any theme park vacation will just be me and my son unless my husband has a conference in Orlando.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
52,762 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando -- What a fantastic place for a get-a-way w/teenager

We have been as a family a few times, but I also go with my eldest son whenever possible. We stay for 2 weeks, and are lucky coz our friends now live there, and we can stay with them. He is 23 now, and we went to DLP in the summer for 5 days, and had a day in Paris as well. It's great having mum and son time, as we are both big Disney fans, and love all the parks.

Havn't been on my own with DS2 yet, he is 19 and has asked if we can go again next year. Trying to work it around A levels. Havn't got exam dates yet. His girlfriend has never been, and I think DH will come as well, as he hasn't been for a few years.

Sadly DS1 is in the Royal Navy, and can only go when he has leave, so he may not be able to join us.

With a 9hr flight we can't really do a mini get away, but I certainly recommend maxi ones !

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando -- What a fantastic place for a get-a-way w/teenager

I took my twin 14 yr olds to Universal in April, and m 18 yr old to Epcot in June by myself. It was a great time and so much fun.

It was such fun, I actually managed to convince their Dad to come to Epcot with us yesterday lol.

6. Re: Orlando -- What a fantastic place for a get-a-way w/teenager

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 05:18