We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Devon, England
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

We will be in Orlando for 2 weeks over the Thanksgiving Holiday. I have read that Black Friday is manic for shopping and that the shops are rammed. Is it impossible to shop or is it the real only opportunity to get bargins now?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

Yes.

the stores open at midnight or even 5 am. Lines are long just to enter some places.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

Many people wait hours in line to buy electronics. Places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Walmart have line forming hours and hours before the doors open. Last year a person was killed in a Walmart stampede at a gate opening (apparently everyone was trying to get to a digital camera that was dirt cheap) Sometimes the doors open very early in the morning (5 am) and many other open at midnight. The malls in my city are jam packed...police officers are called in to direct traffic outside. Having said that, I have never regretted going out to look for bargains. You need to study the newspaper ads on Thanksgiving day (our largest nespaper of the year because of all of those ads) and make a game plan. The craziness has already started for me. My young daughter wanted a Zhu Zhu Hamster for her b'day last month. On shipment days, there were 40 people in line to get those electronic hamsters!! This was in August! Unfortunatly I was not able to get one, so my search continues and it will be a christmas gift. (I refuse to wait 3 hours in a line or buy from scalpers off e-bay who jack the prices up 75%)

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

Ahggg! I hit post instead of preview!! I want to add that it was at Toys R Us where the lines were for that silly hamster toy.

My post sounds like the Black Friday is absolutely horrible, and that is not the case. I think it is fun to go out in the crowds and bargain hunt. And you can find some good deals, too! Just know what you're going for and research the price. I know that you will have so much fun!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

Ours is kind of crazy The one that I"ve dropped out of in the past couple of years is WalMart. Everywhere else was busy but WalMart has gotten a little scary! Our outlet mall opens at midnight. Daughter Liz and I are just going to stay up and shop before we go to bed.

Jennifer

Forida
Level Contributor
291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

We went to Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise Florida (a massive place) at midnight. We vowed never to do it again! There were thousands waiting to get in the doors. There were thousands of people waiting to get into Brandsmart where we were planning to buy a TV, and they were only letting in a few at a time. Everywhere else in the mall, we found that the bargains were not that incredible. It was soooooo not worth the stress.

In fact, several days later we were able to get the TV we wanted at Brandsmart for the same price that was advertised on black friday.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

You have to really LOVE shopping to venture out on Black Friday!

With the current state of the economy, there are great deals out there right now, and from what I am learning, deals will get better before Black Friday, because retailers want to capture the shopping audience any time they can!

7. Re: Is Black Friday really as mad as the guidebook says?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2010, 06:16